http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/nbc-to-do-internal-investigation-on-zimmerman-segment/2012/03/31/gIQAc4HhnS_blog.html?hpid=z6 Does it bother you that major news networks are altering evidence to create stories like this?
TwylaMarie TwylaMarie 41-45, F 31 Answers Apr 1, 2012

It's America, your news is the laughing stock of the world, along with your educational system. At least in places like China the news is about providing information, albeit misinformation; in America it's just another source of entertainment that only really pays lip service to any kind of information. Really it's about taking small issues and ratcheting them up to an emotional pitch far beyond anything that's healthy or likely to produce rational discussion. <br />
It's like "Man crosses road" which on BBC News is like "Man crosses road" on Fox it's "INSANE COMMUNIST OBAMA LOVING NI... PAEDOPHILE RAPIST CAUSES TRAFFIC ACCIDENT, LETS GUN THE GOD HATING ANTI-AMERICAN ATHEIST ****** DOWN AND INVADE SOMEWHERE!!! U.S.A! U.S.A!" <br />
NBC is like "MAN FORCED TO WALK SHOPS TO FEED STARVING FAMILY. WHERE IS THE GOVERNMENT IN ALL THIS? THIS IS ALL THE REPUBLICANS FAULT! OH THE HUMANITY!!" just cuz the dude happened to cross the road to buy milk and a load of bread.<br />
The thing I don't understand is that Americans know this and still watch it and still believe it and still get into daft arguments about it. It's bizarre. It's the free market: as long as you pay them for entertainment and not news they're going to make stuff up to entertain you.

Best Answer

I laughed so ******* hard at the man crosses road translation.

Best Answer

XD

Best Answer

I tend to agree with you Ketsan. We do tend to put our boobs in high editorial positions instead of just on page 3. :)

Best Answer

Lol.

Best Answer

I'm giving serious thought to going into politics actually. XD

Best Answer

why does it matter if he's racist or not. He stalked a teenager, started a fight with him, and shot him. If I did that, I'd be in jail...especially if I disobeyed the police operator...It's not like he can say he didn't know he wasn't to go vigilante on the kid. She told him not to.

Best Answer

Jeanemae - It doesn't bother you that the only things you really know about this case are from the same media that just told you they created their own facts to support a story? An alteration that made Zimmerman look like a racist? All of the news networks are using pictures of the victim that are years old to make him look like a cherub too? The truth is the only things you know about this case are what the media told you - and they may not be telling you everything. There's a reason why three different prosecutors offices have the Zimmerman file including the FBI and not one of them has filed an arrest warrant yet.

Best Answer

I don't base my assessment on the talking heads...I could care less what the think. But the tape of his conversation with the operator is quite clear. He was told not to get further involved. If he had listened he wouldn't have been in a position to shoot anyone. which means, he caused the conflict which resulted in someones death. That's a crime no matter his reasons. I don't care about his reasons or anyone else's with all this crap about it being important in reference to these new laws and such, No, he shot someone, he could have avoided shooting by listening to the authorities. He's a criminal. And so are they for not prosecuting him.

Best Answer

why? I don't don't make my living making a circus out of someone getting shot, that's for sure! These people should be ashamed as far as I'm concerned...and it angers me a great deal that they don't even apply basic logic. It's sick people using the death of this child, and it happens soo much much now when there's a violent incident involving a youth.

Best Answer

jeannemae- "You don't have to do that" is quite clear? This is a guy who is a neighborhood watch person trying to potect his neighborhood in an area littered with crime the police force has been ineffective at preventing and he's supposed to stand down with the instructions "you don't need to do that." There's a reason why Florida put the "Stand your Ground" law into effect. They were pressured to because the law in that part of Florida has been ineffective in protecting people.

Best Answer

but even in his own story, he hadn't caught him doing anything and he was following him. You can't do a preemptive strike. If they stopped letting over excited people like him have guns maybe they wouldn't have such crime problems. I really think your priorities are out of line if you think people's political stances and stupid reporters are more significant than the fact that he shot an unarmed child. Yes, there are incompetent cops everywhere, how does shooting some teenager change that?

Best Answer

If you read the report, it says he was acting erratically and he thought he was on drugs. That's why he called it in. Whether that's true, who knows. The fact is I don't know and you don't either. The local prosecutor has the details and has not arrested Zimmerman. The state has the details and has not arrested Zimmerman. The FBI has the details and has not arrested Zimmerman. Despite the looting of stores by protesters they have not arrested Zimmerman. Despite the marches in the streets they have not arrested Zimmerman. Seems to me we don't know the whole story here.

Best Answer

if people had the right to shoot everyone acting a bit off there'd be bodies everywhere. The fact that they haven't made an arrest at this point, now that there is a huge media frenzy is not that surprising. There's so much attention now that lots of organizations are involved that when they finally make a choice it'll be really picked over so they've got to have all the evidence lined up neatly, especially now that they are dealing with impropriety charges of the case being mishandled and the detective wanting to charge him and all.

Best Answer

Actually Jeanemae, people don't have that right, but they do have a right to defend themselves. That's what the "stand your ground" law is all about. At the moment, Zimmermans defense is that the teenager tried to grab his gun and he got there first. We don't know if that's true or not, but prosecutors (local, state and fedearl) have the full details of the case and they haven't arrested him.

Best Answer

how is that an argument? he's the one that brought the gun, so if the boy grabbed it that would have been in his self defense. I mean this guy was following someone with a loaded weapon! Even if it happen as you say he said, he caused this.

Best Answer

Actually, I don't happen to know the truth and if I pretend to - I'll step back from it. What I do say that there are obviously two sides this to story and we've only heard parts of the story that the media wants to create a story - and it looks as though even some of those facts could be manufactured. Perhaps we should trust the state &amp; local authorities and FBI instead of making decisions based on news programs that don't have all the facts.

Best Answer

well, they haven't concluded anything yet so perhaps it should be left at that.

Best Answer

jeanemae You are accusing Zimmerman of being an vigilante and from what I have read here you are guilty of exactly the same thing, You seem unwilling to let the professional investigators and a Grand Jury discover the facts, especially if what they discover doesn't jive with your preconceived notions. That's the mentality of a lynch mob.

Best Answer

As opposed to the media that blindly repeated 'ENHANCED VIDEO SHOWS INJURY" without even bothering with a forensic on the video.
Which still proves nothing because Zimmerman STARTED the fight by bringing his gun to an illegal stop leading to an engineered confrontation.
There is NO DEFENSE AFTER STARTING THE FATAL FIGHT.

Best Answer

Bitlord - So anything that shows the other side of the story you're immediately against - but MANUFACTURED audio using spliced together pieces of conversations is okay with you?

Best Answer

The pictures of both bothered me too. It looks the news shows had no problem showing not recent photos of the kid (the football uniform bothered me and he hadn't played football in what two years) while continually to post the mug shot of the man that was like seven years old. If that isn't blatant misuse of trying to give out "unbiased" facts, I don't know what is.

Best Answer

Your right wing nonsense bothers me no end. Try thinking for yourself.

Best Answer

Peza, did you even read the article? Of course you didn't. This isn't even about "right" or "left" this is about a major news network trying to create it's own news, which I'd think is a pretty bi-partisan issue.

Best Answer

Coming from the person who discounted my comment because they thought I was a liberal. You fail.

Best Answer

So I'm wrong and news media inventing it's own story is not a bipartisan issue? Help me along here? Why is this something only the right should care about? Is it because the media lies to support a left wing agenda? That would make sense I guess, but in general I'd think we'd all care about it when the press decides to make their own rules and become judge and jury.

Best Answer

You are an idiot. I never mentioned right vs. left, YOU did.

Best Answer

I know you didn't, the original poster on this particular thread did. Read from Peza's line down, snapping.

Best Answer

This is ALL ABOUT RIGHT AND LEFT as the right is interested in maintaining a 'right to kill on sight' any young black man who is 'threatening looking'.

Best Answer

Bitlord - you are so boring at this point. if I say "high" you'll say "low" and if I say "yes" you'll say "no." I get it.

Best Answer

That could be a good start to a song, Twyla.

Best Answer

Knobhead.

Best Answer

I would say someone at NBC is not too bright. How would they think they could have gotten away with it. It certainly hits NBC News where it hurts most : their credibilty.

Best Answer

Who is Erik Wemple, and why should I believe him?

Best Answer

Not surprised

Best Answer

Surprised no.<br />
The news station does not like people thinking for themselves. So they alter or report different things so that their viewers will think what they want them to think.

Best Answer

That is an opinion backed up by a Fox news 'expose'.

Best Answer

It's also a fact backed up by comparing the original 911 tape to the tape as it was played on NBC. Even NBC admits they altered the tape and that it was wrong. (Geez, the "Fox News" defense again. When did liberals decide that yelling "Fox News" was the way to end debate on something? I'll yell MSNBC! now. Game on.)

Best Answer

I'm not a liberal. I am, however, someone who gets their news from multiple sources and those sources are rarely ever from the TV. The tv news sources keep trying to pretend they are reporting 'just the facts from an unbiased perspective' while being simultaneously reliant on the salaciousness of the news for advertisement revenue.
There is a CLEAR conflict of interest and thus I am much more interested in news that comes from people who are open an honest about where they are coming politically and financially.
Example: Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, New York Times, London Observer, The New Yorker, The Economist, The New Republic (post Stephen Glass), etc.

Best Answer

I also did not see citations linking to a FULL RECORDING of the 911 tape they are 'referencing'.

Best Answer

You are wasting your breath snap , these idiots don't read.

Best Answer

Okay, that's fair. yes, every news has a perspective, and you are correct I made an assumption there. But, as the saying goes "you're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts." NBC in this case made up their own facts.

Best Answer

Peza - Since this article is clearly something I read, I guess you've shown your cognitive skills here.

Best Answer

Agh. You have no FACTS to back up your FACTS. You don't have the original call, you cannot know what was said and what was made up and you are taking what was written on a BLOG to be NEWS. ****. Stop breeding, now.

Best Answer

Snapping, not sure what "facts" you are disputing? That the Washington Post reported NBC opened an investigation? That the transcript doesn't match wha NBC played on TV? Help me out here?

Best Answer

What? Peza has cognitive skills! No.

Best Answer

There is no defense for removing portions of the tape IF the intervening portions put the remaining material in context.
There is no evidence this happened.
NBC clipped meaningless qualifications from the declaration "I think he is black", the best example of the mindset, indeed the mens rae, of Zimmerman.
It will be played at his trial, should the DA ever decide to do his plain duty.

Best Answer

Bitlord - Three different prosecutors offices have this file and none are even bringing a case against him yet. At this point it's kind of doubtful there will ever even be a trial. If there is, Zimmerman will bring in his black friends, the black kids he spent some time with on that school thing, show the details of when he himself spearheaded a campaign for accountability with a poor black man was beaten by a cop, etc.

Best Answer

take all news stories with a grain of salt............most of that s hit fabricated

Best Answer

So what??? Every part of the media is pandering to the lowest common denominator...this is just the newest way of doing do for them...

Best Answer

So if the marches become riots because the media is portraying this as a race killing, do you think those that lose property and/or life should be able to sue NBC?

Best Answer

I think it should be forced upon them to sue NBC

Best Answer

OK...

Best Answer

If it takes a RIOT to force the DA to act lawfully and responsibly, handing Zimmerman over to a jury to try the facts and decide on his guilt, then a RIOT IS A GOOD THING!

Best Answer

Guess they will be joining Faux News Network

Best Answer

I'd say that they probably deserve the title more than Fox, which actually exposed the forged evidence.

Best Answer

Well said

Best Answer

False.
Fox has repeatedly forged evidence, been caught, AND REFUSED TO ISSUE APOLOGIES.
Thus you see the difference between right and left.

Best Answer

Bitlord - Single Example of forged evidence from Fox please?

Best Answer

Doesn't surprise me one bit, they have been slanting the news for decades.

Best Answer

If you think that NBC is the only network doing this, then I got a bridge to sell you. None of what I see on tv is news that was obtained by actual reporting or journalist activity. Fox is probably the worst, but I've seen slanted stuff on CNN as well. Think for yourselves. At the end of the day, only a gullible person would believe that big *** Zimmerman who was recorded on the 911 line chasing some kid was ever acting in self defense. He beat up a cop before and was simply a nutty law enforcement wanna be. He's probably left the country or if not, will ultimately get away with it. Sad to say, black men and boys' lives in America, and other places in the world, are of no value to society at large. Reverse the races, and there probably, definitely would have been an arrest followed by charges. Anyone who blames the victim is a sick racist **** and there's no hope for you....my only comment on this...not caring if I'm offensive right now.

Best Answer

At the end of the day, only a gullible person would believe that if Zimmerman's intent was to cause trouble, he would have called the police before engaging in it. You tend to forget that Zimmerman was brought in for questioning. He was released because his story checked out, he wasn't a flight risk and had been cooperative.

Best Answer

I rarely say this in such a discourteous way, but go and re-read the facts of the case and the timeline then comment. Not to do so confirms your lack of intelligence critical thinking skills. If you don't follow my advice, you'll continue to publicly expose yourself as member of the association of sheeple that lap up to every bit of misinformation and divisive rhetoric right wing taking heads spew on fox and talk radio. If you are in fact a paid troll, try huff po.

Best Answer

...and just because I'm in that sort of mood...twyla, not even going to where I can always find an individual with a name like that....**** off.

Best Answer

Unsurprised. All of the mainstream media is horseshit. Liberal or conservative leaning, it doesn't amtter. They're all terrible.<br />
That said, Mother Jones (which is admittedly left wing) has FAR better reporting on the Zimmerman shooting.

Best Answer

In this case those screaming for instant ( vigilante ) justice all seem to be on the political left, why is that. This is just another example a leftist news media. Editing a 911 call in order to make it fit their agenda is the equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded theater .

Best Answer

i think that it got thier rating up. isn't that what news progroms want to do. it is up to us to not take a newsersons word as gospil.

Best Answer

But when information like this can start civil unrest, isn't that where it crosses the line? (And yes, there has been civil unrest associated with this. There have been reports of looting at at least one of these demonstrations - which for some reason didn't make the national news.) As the old saying goes, "Freedom of Speech doesn't include the right to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre."

Best Answer

It also doesn't mean that you have to tel the whole story a fact that the major news networks are very good at taking advantage of.

Best Answer

Twyla you should know by now that liberals hate Fox news because it tells the truth about them and truth is not their friend,

Best Answer

Civil Unrest is NECESSARY when confronting the enabling of conspiracy to permit a white murderer to walk away without punishment.
Oh, btw, that quote is from U.S. v. Debs, when the Supreme Court said it was constitutional to lock up a candidate for President who dared disagree with war policy.
NOT a very good choice for you anti-first-amendment types!!

Best Answer

Bitlord - Zimmerman isn't even white. He's hispanic. As for a "conspiracy" the FBI has the file and i can't help but notice there's still no arrest warrant. The FBI reports to the commander-in-chief. You don't think there's pressure to make something stick? How pathetic this has all become. Trying to start a race war because Obama wants to pick up 27 electoral votes in a swing state.

Best Answer

Not really sure about the facts in this case, but NBC has a long history of bending the truth, particularly with dateline. Their bit on the Suzuki Samurai comes to mind.

Best Answer

I'm so used to major news networks altering evidence, showing footage of incidents that happen in a completely different place and time and claiming it to be the here and now, reporting views from certain people only, and basicly the whole mainstream media propaganda that it doesnt bother me any more

Best Answer

Well that's pretty sad. When you think about how to fix this, remember that there is only one side of this that consistently seeks to shut down the voice of those that provide an alternate view. Never trust the person that says "don't listen to what the other side tells you" they are the ones saying "listen to all sides and think for yourself."

Best Answer

It used to frustrate me badly when I watched the news knowing half truths and sometimes blatant lies were being reported. I used to feel like screaming "how the **** can you say that, anyone with half a brain can hear that doesnt make sense" It happens all the time and there's nothing someone like me or you could ever do about it.

Best Answer

That is why mainstream media is so powerful, and that is why it will always be controled by the propagandists. All your mainstream media puts a spin on the news which suites a agenda. Never just the plain facts

Best Answer

You can't fool all the people all the time but you can fool some people all the time, and those are the ones one needs to concentrate on.
Not sure who said that, maybe Bush

Best Answer

Oh really? Is that the side that demands that CORPORATIONS be allowed to use worker's money to flood the airwaves with rightwing propaganda and so silence THE PEOPLE?
Hint, because you are a dense lying sack of ****, CITIZEN'S UNITED!!

Best Answer

NBC didn't admit that. Looks like you are twisting the facts.

Best Answer

If you read the article you'll see the original tape recording and what NBC played, and a statement from NBC saying they are opening an investigation into who did it. How would you read this? Is it not altered audio? Is NBC opening an investigation so they can give the person who misrepresented his a raise?

Best Answer

Opening an investigation is not making an admission.

Best Answer

Ketsan - agreed, but to quote the Washington Post on this "Much of the public discussion over the past week has settled on how conflicting facts and interpretations call into question whether Zimmerman acted justifiably or criminally. That’s a process that’ll continue. But one set of facts in the is ironclad, and that’s the back-and-forth between Zimmerman and the dispatcher. To portray that exchange in a way that wrongs Zimmerman is high editorial malpractice well worthy of the investigation that NBC is now mounting."

Best Answer

Nothing surprises me--look what the media did to the poor Ramsey family--better story if the parents killed their own kid-they act like judge and jury before it hits the court system.

Best Answer