I personally just don't have motivation anymore. I'm taking honors and AP classes because of my mom, and my grades are suffering. I barely passed this first semester. Things I want to be just don't involve school.
levuz levuz 13-15, M 11 Answers Feb 4, 2013 in Education

Well, when all else fails and I am not interested in the material at all and I think it is completely stupid I resort to a utility argument. Even if I don't find the material interesting or think I will use it, doing well in the class will serve me well in the long term. <br />
For example: In my case the long term is that I want to graduate with honours and get into law school, so I need a good grade in statistics whether or not I agree with the fact that I am required to take it or whether or not I will find what I learn useful in the future. Ergo, I worked hard and pushed through the stats class despite being bored out of my mind and hating it - I got an A.<br />
In your case the long term is a bit different. You haven't said what you want to do with your life, only that it does not have to do with school, but you have your age listed as 13-15. You need to keep your options open in case you change your mind over the next few years. Very few people truly know what they want to do at your age and many people change their minds even at my age and if you change your mind and want to do something that requires post-secondary education, you will wish that you had done the hard work now that would have kept that door open.<br />
Moreover, more and more careers require post-secondary credentials and you might want to factor that into your decision. Out of curiosity, what career are you thinking of?

Best Answer

Hey, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I personally just want to make music. I know the entertainment industry is hard to get into, but it's what I really want to do. I'm 15 and Ive been writing since I was ten, Ive been in jazz band, concert band, and wind ensemble throughout middle school and high school so far. Now in highschool I'm also in marching band and all the previously mentioned. I DJ with a buddy of mine all the time, and produce. It's the only thing I've wanted to do for years. I want to go through highschool, It's just getting hard, and boring, and does not seem important to me.

Best Answer

That's cool and maybe you won't change your mind, but I think it would be wise to have a back up plan in case the entertainment industry doesn't work out. I mean, I certainly hope that it does, but just in case it might be good to have something else to fall back on if it doesn't or if it takes a while to take off.
Also, take the time to explore different fields of study, there are a lot of different things out there and you never know what you will find interesting. Keep pursuing music, but don't limit yourself now. So many of my profs have advised me not to limit myself and that is one of the best pieces of advice I have received.
I wish you luck.

Best Answer

One long-term motivation is financial security and getting what you want. Doing well in school now will help you when it comes to taking the SAT or ACT and when applying for scholarships. Good grades in high school and a good SAT score can qualify you for larger scholarships. That's what happened at my college and I never had to pay tuition because it was fully covered. Even if you're not looking at the long-term goals, just remember that working hard now will make college a whole lot easier when you don't have to worry about money.

Best Answer

I lost motivation in high school. I ended up dropping classes and nearly failing one (the teacher truly only let me pass by her good graces). I was normally a great student but with all the added responsibility in my home life after the death of my father... school got put on the back burner. I still finished though, in the top 10% of my class despite it all.

Best Answer

At least earning your HS diploma is a no brainer. Thereafter, you have more options. But you've got to at least graduate from HS.

Best Answer

I always try to push myself to be the best I can be. Maybe you could make goals for yourself and slowly start working at it, and study longer and harder.

Best Answer

What do you inspire to be?

Best Answer

You'll always appreciate your education later in life. Your education can lead to great things. Ignorance is very costly

Best Answer