Watched the first season of "The Wire" and took me a while to get used to all that slang and jargon. Now I'm trying to watch "Sons of Anarchy" and am pretty lost in many of the conversations. How are normal people supposed to follow these shows? Do these shows come with a glossary for viewers who are unfamiliar with all these terms, or do they just expect us to decipher it by nitpicking every word they say? Lots of the time the dialogue just crams a bunch of these terms together so that the whole scene is just a bunch of slang. How can someone decipher that? Anyone else have a hard time?
Agonystick Agonystick 26-30, M 2 Answers Dec 1, 2012 in Movies & TV

sometimes learning the lingo from the show is better than learning it the other way. well thats what i thought after watching breaking bad

Best Answer

What do you mean the other way around? Being part of the culture? Yeah, I guess. Being involved in drugs and gangs would be rough. Breaking Bad doesn't really have much lingo, and most of it is pretty clearly explained or structured so that you can understand. But "The Wire" has whole scenes that are made up of slang, which is pretty hard to decipher if you don't know any of it.

Best Answer

yeah i hadnt seen those two. i have sons of anarchy here but havent watched it. just seemed like a positive spin on your q ;) and yes by being part of the culture

Best Answer

I don't see how people can easily follow the dialogue in "Sons of Anarchy" without being part of a biker gang, or living in a community run by one. Its just hard enough trying to figure out the words they are saying sometimes, let alone the meaning of them. I found a glossary though, so it should be good.

Best Answer

"normal people" you've already failed

Best Answer

Why? I'm talking about people who have no knowledge of the culture that these television shows depict. If you're not a drug dealer, user, or live in the ghettos, how are you supposed to know all the slang they use on "The Wire"?

Best Answer

How did I fail? I'm referring to people who are not involved in the culture that is depicted in these shows. If I'm not a drug dealer, user, or live in the ghetto, how am I supposed to know all the slang they use on "The Wire"?

Best Answer

hahaha you're sheltered it's ok but not everyone is a drugdealer not every urban setting is a ghetto, not everyone is a user either

Best Answer

Stupid site...doesn't register things fast enough

Best Answer

its the servers

Best Answer

Then how would they know these terms? If they aren't involved at all with the culture, why would they know these terms at all? It's not like they teach this slang in school. The only way to learn this stuff would be to actually be involved in it.

Best Answer

in school is where you would pick it up well public school depending your social circle if you need help you can always to go urbandictionary.com

Best Answer