I'm moving from a house to an apartment, and one of my cats randomly meows and wanders around. I didn't think much about it with no attached neighbours but...I don't think this will fly in an apartment building. Any ideas on how to get him to knock it off? BTW, he's been a "talker" since day one. It's not something new so I'm not too worried about him being sick. But before we got him he was a stray and we've had him for about 3 years and he's not allowed outside. So he really gets worked up in the spring!
Kilyra Kilyra 31-35, F 19 Answers Jun 25, 2010

Constant Meowing: Some cat species meow a lot more than others (e.g. Siamese), but all do it to get your attention. <br />
And while most just do it when they want something in particular, some cats just meow constantly and for no apparent reason. This can be a major problem, especially if it occurs at night or early in the morning when you're trying to sleep.<br />
Stopping Contant Meowing: Firstly, make sure that your cat isn't meowing due to an illness or medical problem. Cats do meow to <br />
communicate, not just to demand things, so illness should be ruled out first of all.<br />
However, most cats who constantly meow are doing so because they're trying to tell you something. Please bear in mind that your cat doesn't meow just to annoy you and the quicker you can figure out the <br />
reasons for the noise, the quicker it will stop. Here a few a few things you can try: <br />
Feed on a regular basis. Try and feeding your cat at set times/regular intervals so they can anticipate when they're next going to eat. You can also try leaving down the dry cat food/biscuits so that your cat can nibble whenever they get hungry. However, if you cat has a tendency to over-eat, this may not be wise.<br />
Install a cat flap. Most cats can never make up their minds if they want to be in or outside. My cat is in heaven during the summer when I can leave the back door open and he can wander in and out at much as he pleases. If your cat is always in and out, a cat flap is a great option. They are fairly cheap and easy to install and you buy ones which have magnets on them so only YOUR cat can get in.<br />
Play. Some cats meow a lot because they want some attention and affection. Stroke and play with your cat often to keep them from feeling lonely or neglected.<br />
Discipline. Don't let your cat drive you round the bend with excessive meowing - take charge. You can either ignore them which will eventually make them stop if you don't give in (very hard to do!) or you can try the old favourites of a squirt with a water spray or a firm 'NO' and a clap of the hands. Eventually your kitty will realize that constant meowing will get them nowhere. Please ensure you remember to praise your cat and give extra attention to them when they're not meowing.<br />
Source: http://ezinearticles.com/?Cat-Meowing---Why-They-do-it,-What-it-Means-and-How-to-Stop-Unwanted-Meowing&id=747350

Best Answer

Hey awesome, thanks!

Best Answer

I have heard this, but I don't know if it's true: I have heard to put butter on a cat's paws and by the time they are done licking it off, they will feel right at home in their new environment.

Best Answer

Due to the nature of your reply, I'm editing my question.<br />
Hey baby, do you have a boyfriend? ;)

Best Answer

He was neutered over three years ago unfortunately. I mean unfortunately because it hasn't shushed him up, not unfortunately because he was neutered...

Best Answer

Most cats meow to attain human attention. Either because they are hungry, scared, bored, or simply to communicate. Excessive meowing can occasionally mean that your cat is stressed, or needs to be taken to a veterinarian for a checkup. More often though, it is a learned behavior because the cat knows that excessive meowing will get him/her desired attention. Also, some cats are naturally more vocal than others, such as Siamese and Burmese.

Best Answer

I think you're in trouble. I've had a few cats and they only meowed when they didn't feel good. I had a female cat that roamed inside and outside. She sometimes had gentlemen calls meowing outside for her. good luck

Best Answer

my cat never used to make much noise at all and then suddenly was meowing all the time. She would wake us up at 3am. She was 16 and hadn't been to vet in 6 years as it used to stress her going. I took her to the vet and it turned out she wasn't very well and because of her age the vet advised letting her go. It was very sad to have to do that but she had had a long life and I didn't want her to suffer. So if your cat has just started doing this get it checked out. On the other hand if the cat has always been like this I don't think there is much you can do about it.

Best Answer

By meowing back, it soothes them, and its fun to do!

Best Answer

As yours was a stray, he was used to being outside, he will cry to get out again because he likes it. Train him to a leash and take him out for walks. Worked with a Siamese I had once. He did so well though only used a leash when we were in threat areas. Out fishing he did great.

Best Answer

duct tape

Best Answer

Buy a dog.

Best Answer

Trade it for a dog that barks all the time.

Best Answer

When my cat meows like that it is usually because she wants attention and most of the time that means picking her up and holding her like a baby as you carry on with whatever you are doing. My cat is extremely spoiled, can you tell?

Best Answer

i would take her to the vet just to make sure she is okay. you should try different things with her to see what will stop her. for example lay on the floor with her, talk to her, pet her, see will she play with a toy...when does she stops and starts that noise.

Best Answer

Tylenol, does wonders for silencing cats.

Best Answer

The cat needs reassurance in its new surroundings. Allowing it to land on its feet a few times will help. Particularly if your apartment is at least 10 floors up.<br />
(As you may have guessed, I'm more of a dog person. But please don't actually throw the cat out the window. It may injure some passer by) ;-)

Best Answer

Bahaha....I can't lie...there are some days! (Not that I would ever, before anyone gets mad at me haha)

Best Answer

don't try to keep it from meowing. he/she is talking and loving your company.

Best Answer