keenant keenant 18-21 6 Answers Nov 19, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

You never fully get over it. I've been hanging on to it for 25 years. You just learn to live with it, to accept it, to deal with it and to focus on other things. One day and one step at a time.

Best Answer

I think you answered your own question. "I've been hanging onto it." Like Hongruilin said, you never get over it, but you do eventually let it go, almost without thought. You stop allowing the abuse to define you. You fill your life with new things and someday, you'll find that your new experiences are taking up more room in your mind than the past is.

Best Answer

if i spent enough time i could come close to explaining it, but it would still only be words, and with deep convictions, words flow off our hearts like water off a ducks back

Best Answer

just fight back against the most negative thoughts, reflect deeply when you can and keep living - time will become your friend if you don't give up, and you will find your own answers

Best Answer

There's no one path. With as many different variations of abuse as there are... threre's twice as many ways to deal with it. I have a best friend who I hellped work though this sort of situation. You have to first forgive yourself for all the guilt your're carrying around (not being good enough, not standing up, not making phone calls, etc). <br />
Then you have to seperate yourself from your abuser in your mind. It is not a co or dependent relationshipl. You are who you need to be taking care or first. Children come next. etc. You have to stop listening and you literally have to re teach yourself. Changng brain patterns.<br />
Take some time to write down situations that suck you in . Like if i watch triggoring movies i get upset. or If I fight with mom I regress and freeze up. <br />
Recognize those patters and when you see the change something.

Best Answer

First, you're still a teen. Give yourself some time. While you do so, begin bringing things into your life that make you happy, things you enjoy. Try to make a few good friends who's spirit & attitudes are similar to yours - you want people on the same path & make sure it's a healthy path. As you add good things, ask God (if you believe in Him) to help you let go of the abuse you're hanging onto. If you don't believe in Him, just begin to notice that you're hanging onto garbage, something not worth keeping. Replace the bad with good things & good people. Get some therapy; it can help. But loving people will help more. I'll pray for you. You can do this.

Best Answer