I'm been self harming for more than half my life. I've been cutting for 8 of those years. Lately I've been in recovery to try and stop self harming and mutilating. However, I've noticed I've become dependent on this addiction. How do I break this addiction?
ash1211 ash1211 18-21, F 14 Answers Nov 19, 2012 in Self Harm

Well it is a long battle for me running always seemed to help also writing but in the end I still slip up every now and again but no where near like i was but my mental state is a lot better than it was,,I was told replace an unhealthy addiction with a healthy one

Best Answer

I believe in you, couse your a friend.

Best Answer

just thought i'd say this up front.... I LOVE YOUR PICTURE! x-files is one of the best shows out there.
i can't run because i have a damaged knee from dance but maybe exercise in general would help. thanks!!!

Best Answer

You can overcome any vice as long as you have:

1. Support system of loving friends or family who will be there in case you backtrack.

2. A positive substitute for the vice, something that would give you a similar endorphin rush without the self harm. For example a powerful workout or meditation or prayer or hiking or dancing. It must be everyday and you must start out slow and increase the practise as you go on, per week or as your body sees fit. Pretty soon you will crave this positive substitute, its just persistance and diligence everyday. You dont have to even know how to jog, meditate, hike etc...just try it out and you might be amazed at the results.

3. Make sure you keep track of your daily success, for examply put up a daily note on your wall stating your daily achievements....ie. 2 days going strong etc

Its very important that you have support of at least one person you can count on as your accountability partner and someone you can count on to be there with you.

All the best, I hope this helps

Best Answer

this is very helpful! thank you!

Best Answer

You find the cause that is why you self harm and correct it.

Easily said, difficult to do. I haven't cut since March, but it is not easy.

I try to distract, I find a friend to talk to that I can talk to about what is going on AND the fact that I want to cut about it.

I have so many scars that I don't want to make it "worse".

Here is a vid I made about it for those that don't know why.

EP Link

Best Answer

thanks for the help.
i know why i do it. its not a matter of finding why and removing that. there are things that can't be removed that are the reasons. and i'm addicted.
trust me, i have many scars too and don't want to make it worse. i'm already having a difficult time finding a job because of my scars.

Best Answer

I understand the release that is felt, but I have come to KNOW that if I try to get that release, I will feel bad about it (I still don't know why), and will have to cut again because I cut. A vicious cycle for me once started.

Best Answer

i know what you mean.

Best Answer

The best way I've notice is to seek professional help. Doing it on your your own is hard and sometimes you just need that extra push. But when it comes down to it it's all in mind power. I know first hand.. I went almost 3 years without cutting and I relapsed but I'm determine to try again and this time try harder. I wish you the best of luck. Tip find something else that calms you down. Someing as simple as screaming into a pillow or soothing music. And also do it for you and not for anyone else.

Best Answer

thank you so much for the help!

Best Answer

Start with a physical at your general practitioner doc- you can't tackle this alone

Best Answer

I grew out of it gradually ............same as I battled the demons within. Gradually. I started at 10 and finally stopped just four years ago. I'm 52 today.

Now days there is more awareness on this and therefore many ways to stop with help.

I wish you well kiddo. ( hugs )

Best Answer

thanks for the help and support

Best Answer

Well the first step to change is recognizing that this is a problem in your life. Very important. Please follow up and seek help from a good therapist; it is likely that dealing with the underlying causes of the emotional pain which triggers your need to cut etc. will eventually help. This is not a quick fix.....it will take time...don't give up. You may wish to begin with your GP/Nurse Practicioner as others have suggested. Check to see if there are any support groups in your area.

Murphyj

Best Answer

thank you for the help.
i'm going to counselling/therapy already. it helps some.

Best Answer

Well i think about the people i care about, and what they are going through seeing me this way

Best Answer

true. true. but i'm already the biggest failure in their eyes and they're annoyed with me anyways. i might as well punish myself for not being good enough.

Best Answer

When people say you are not good enough, it doesnt mean you cant pick up yourself and show them the unique side of you, think of it as another way to earn respect from the people you love

Best Answer

i guess that's one way of looking at it.

Best Answer

now you are talking mate.... So them that you are not a failure and remember i believe in you friend

Best Answer

easier said than done. but i guess its worth a try.

Best Answer

Just believe in yourself as i believe in you.....

Best Answer

thanks

Best Answer

I'm not sure it can be classified as an addiction, but don't be afraid to reach out for help.

Best Answer

it is. those that struggle know. if you do it long enough you become addicted to the feelings it causes. and it releases endorphins which is a natural pain reliever. the feeling is very addictive.
and i've reached out. but the help i've received is minimal...

Best Answer