hopefulhope05 hopefulhope05 41-45 13 Answers Nov 18, 2010

I have lived with depression most of my life. From my early 20's to my 60's. Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt. One think I can say from experience is......"This too shall pass." It will get better. The following site has some good advise that should help........http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/stop-feeling-depressed/ <br />
Just keep moving forward even when it doesn't seem you are making much progress. Someday it will pay off. Inaction is not the answer.......................

Best Answer

Know that the situation is temporary and more good times are on the way. Just keep the faith sweetie.

Best Answer

Thank you for your kind words. I suppose I know it is temporary, but it has come back so many times and I feel that I have missed out on so much of my life. Still, if I don't learn to look forward, I know I will never get better. I'll just sink deeper.

Best Answer

Quite often it is our past that makes us depressed - not what the future holds. Time to live for today instead of yesterday :)

Best Answer

Thank you...that is very good advice, but I don't know how to let go of the past and the feeling that so much of my life has been stolen by depression. I am, however, still grateful that I have pulled through all of the depressive episodes and that I have an incredible amount of empathy for others due to the difficult experiences. I still wish I could hit rewind and get back the time lost to depression.

Best Answer

Do these four things:<br />
1. Start exercising every day, even if it's only a little, like a 10 minute walk.<br />
2. See a good doctor or psychiatrist and get some meds; you need something to help you out while you are figuring out how to overcome your depression.<br />
3. Read: How To Stop Worrying and Start Living by Dale Carnegie. This fine old book, written over half a century ago, is an easy and fun read and gives some terrific tips for reordering your thinking toward more positive ideas.<br />
4. See a counselor or talk to someone older and wiser about what bothers you in the past; then make a firm decision to resolve this in your own mind so you can live with it more comfortably.

Best Answer

Thank you...I will try the exercise and check out the book. I already have found a therapist and they will be assigning me to a psychiatrist in the practice.

Best Answer

when you have a flat tire, they find the leak, and they do what it takes to fix said leak, but the leak will never be found or fixed if the one with the leak wallows in selfpity and selfloathing, first things first, a person has to get off their *** and put one foot in front of the other and make an effort, it's that simple

Best Answer

That is a good analogy. I am fighting and have found a therapist and they will be referring me to a psychiatrist. My primary doctor has switched my antidepressants in the meantime. The thing is, depression takes a normal, rational mind and turns it into something that feels like mush, for lack of a better desc<x>ription. I truly feel like I am alone at the bottom of a dark pit, but I am fighting because I keep believing that I will find a sliver of light that will lead me back into the sunlight once again. I'm working very hard to get the help I need, but I hate the guilt and I know that it is going to take lots of hard work and medication to get me on track. I'm totally willing to do anything that will help. I just want to feel what happiness feels like.

Best Answer

Start thinking of the positive, writing about what's great in your life and what's great about you.

Best Answer

What a sweet and positive piece of advice...thank you.

Best Answer

Accept your past the only way<br />
some people write their past to accept it which is helpfull

Best Answer

Do you mean write down my past so I can get it out and that will help me to get over it? That sounds like a great idea for me. I love to write.

Best Answer

one day at a time

Best Answer

I'm trying very hard to do that...thank you. :)

Best Answer