i've been diagnosed at a mental hospital with mania, manic depression, bipolar disorder, etc. my parents won't allow me to be on meds. so i'll have to get them without my parents. is that possible?
ash1211 ash1211 18-21, F 12 Answers Nov 18, 2012 in Bipolar Disorder

I wonder why your parents do not want you on med's. For me it was the opposite. I am 51 and was diagnosed last year. First question is are you sure that you are Bipolar? Are you on any other med's that could be interactive. Have you had your Thyroid checked? Are you Add? I ask all these questions because they all pertain to me. It is critical to see a few Doctors and be sure of your diagnosis. The good news is that when you are on the correct dose, everything in your life becomes clear. I agree, you don't need parent consent. I will be happy to tell you my story in detail if you want. What makes you think that you are? PM me or chat any time. Let me know if you would like more details....Luck to you my friend!

Best Answer

i see. my parents have this thing of 'if its not killing you, its not worth seeing a doctor'. i walked with a fractured leg for a month until i couldn't stand the pain and there was visible deformity. my parents don't like to waste money.
why do i think i'm bipolar? because i was diagnosed with it by a psychologist and a psychiatrist. i've taken a test and got severely bipolar on a MD website where you contact a live doctor. oh. and i can go from being the happiest liveliest person one minute to preparing myself to jump in front of a vehicle the next. my mood literally changes all the frickin time. it makes me really want to kill myself because i'm tired of not being in control of myself.
thanks for the help btw.

Best Answer

Go to a clinic.. or show up at a public hospital emergency room and ask for help. At least they will have a list of clinics or programs that may help if they don't give you meds on the spot. I got my meds from the Internet long before I was officially diagnosed. As long as they are not pain pills or tranquilizers they are really easy to get on line. Some sites a Dr will sign off on you if you just fill out a form or maybe talk to the Dr on the phone for five mins. There is just no excuse this day and age not to get meds you need so long as you at least try. Though I know trying is often the hardest part.

Best Answer

really? have to see about that. thanks for the help.

Best Answer

If you are over 18, you don't need your parents consent.

Best Answer

really? great. so how do i go about this? and do you have any idea how much meds usually cost approx.?

Best Answer

If you don't have insurance, they can cost a whole lot. You figure you have to pay for the doctor's visit, and then the pills. The doctor's visit alone will cost you over a $100 easy, and then the pills will probably cost you a bunch as well and for only a very limited amount before you need to see your doctor again for another prescription for a refill.

Best Answer

well. that sucks. i only have my parents insurance. and i'm unemployed because of self harm scars. no one will hire me. so i don't have money for that. guessed there's not much hope for me. thanks for the help though.

Best Answer

No. Not until you are old enough to afford your own health care. If you've been diagnosed you should get the shrink to write a letter for your parents and give them the alternatives of meds and no meds.

Best Answer

You keep beating the crap out of your best friend for no reason.

Best Answer

wow. i'm not going to even try to diagnose you. beat the crap out of my best friend? where would that get me? oh yeah. it would make me want to kill myself even more. either go away or don't give crap answers.

Best Answer

yes, if youre under 18 and your parents refuse to let you get medical care that is illegal, if you want medical care, call cps, they will either make your parents allow you to get the meds you need or they will put you somewhere else so your parents cant stop you from getting them

Best Answer

well i'm 18. but i'm on my parents insurance. so technically i'm just confused. i'm a legal adult so don't have to rely upon them except for the fact i have to live with them because i'm just recently an adult and am unemployed and can't pay for anything. so that's why i'm asking about the meds. i was looking to see if you can get them when in my situation and how much it would cost.

Best Answer

you might be able to get stuff from social services to live on your own if youre not working and then you can get medicaid that way too, if youre on your own youd have more control

Best Answer

hm. never thought of that. thanks!

Best Answer

You can only be diagnosed by a very competent knowledgable professional and taking unprescribed meds or hiding your illness is extremely dangerous and more than daft. Get a proper diagnosis by at least 2 consultants.

Best Answer

go doctors and u dont... my mate has it ur parents will no

Best Answer

God bless you. Please don't get on meds until you have seen a few different doctors! From experience! Im 27 and was put on meds at age 16. Its horrible trying to come off meds after being misdiagnosed!!!!!!

Best Answer

Use a proxy to be evaluated at the free clinic.

Best Answer