kayblue kayblue 36-40, F 17 Answers Dec 2, 2010

I am actually in the same situation. My baby became very ill this year and any extra money we have had has been spent on taking her to childrens hospitals and specialists every week for the last several months. On top of that, I have lost my job back in July due to the economy and cant seem to get a replacement... now we don't know what to do. You lose your job, your medical insurance goes with it. So now what... I have 2 children. A 2 year old and a 10 year old. Here we are in December and I don't even have a tree, not an ornament, not a single decoration, not a single gift... just tears. I am watching all the neighbors get ready for Santa and all I am getting ready for is the utility guy to shut my power off. I wish you the best. Does not seem like there is much hope for those like us out there! My prayers go out to you!

Best Answer

My prayers go out to you as well. I can totally understand the financial strain that not having insurance can place on a family for i have exhausted our savings on finding a diagnosis for a medical condition that i have been battling for almost 2 years. It is very hard sometimes. I wish you the best and if you can, maybe try making some homeade ornaments like "back in the day". It might make you feel better, thinking of trying it myself out of what i can find around here.

Best Answer

I think that there are some good suggestions here.

I am wondering if your area has Toys for Tots? I believe it is run by the Marine Corps, and the primary purpose is to provide toys for families in need at Christmas time. You might also call the Salvation Army and perhaps even local charity type agencies like Goodwill. Even if one agency can't assist you, then they might know of someone else who will. Also try your local Middle Baptist Association, or some of the churches in town. Many churches are just chomping at the bit during this season because they want to help folks who need a hand, but they can't find those people. Honestly, this might require swallowing some pride (if that is a problem), but you can always make a note to pay the charity back with an equal donation in the future. Situations like yours are why these agencies exist.

I also agree with the others...that there are things that you can do that might make the night special without tons of toys. Like reading some Christmas stories or baking cookies. If you think there might be a time in the future when you are on your feet, you could tell the kids that Santa will be delayed this year. My son and I celebrated Christmas in February one year! And he didn't mind. I am wondering if there isn't a friend or relative that would assist you as well?

Best Answer

I appreciate your time in answering my question and you do have some great ideas. As far as family, my mother, grandmother, and grandfather all recently passed and my father and i never did have a great relationship (i have forgiven him), so i don't have a family anymore. My kids are 15 and i have an autistic 10 year old. We are just gonna do the best we can this year and let God handle the rest.

Best Answer

There's always a Christmas whether you celebrate it or not.

Religiously it marks the birth of the Christian savior.

Spiritually it marks as a reminder of the better side of mankind.. The giving of gifts that should be given everyday of the year, not in material possession but of charity, peace, love, and goodwill towards others. These things you can only give and receive as brand new, because each instance is unique. And there is no store you can return it to.

Additionally, when I was old enough to help out by bringing drinks around to tables at a shelter with my parents - to this day I still remember the smiles on every face.

Best Answer

Just make it not about the gifts. You guys can do some fun crafts and make each other some gifts, have a big dinner with lots of fun games, and at least decorate the house. Watch some great Xmas movies, etc. I guess it depends on their ages. I think I woulda taken it well as a kid as long as all the other Christmas things were in place. If things are really bad, is there some charity you can apply to that will give you some gifts?

Best Answer

If you are buying groceries next week and the week after that and can save $10.00 you can go to the dollar store and buy Christmas. You can write coupons for each child...this coupon is good for one hug...this coupon is good for one kiss...this coupon is good for one trip to the park...this coupon is good for one trip to the movies in February....this coupon is good for one movie popcorn in February...this coupon is good for $20.00 at Toys R Us in March. Be creative!!!! And make cookies!!!!

Take them Christmas carolling!! THAT is free! AND fun!!! And SO Christmassy, and sometimes people will even invite you in for a hot chocolate...or not...but still. Take them to Church for Christmas services so they can hear the Christmas music and take them to see the Christmas creches with the mangers.

Stress the true spirit of the Christmas season...not the gift giving...but that Jesus was born on this day...and that will help them to concentrate on the real meaning of the day. You can plan an activity, too, if you like...maybe take your children with you on Christmas day and all of you volunteer at a homeless shelter, helping to serve Christmas dinner to homeless people, or give gifts to children at a homeless shelter.

Best Answer

Tell them you turned Jehova Witness. No presents for you!

Best Answer

Been there, be honest with them about it but don't make a big deal about it, put on a strong, happy face and fake it all the way through, do what you can to make it a good day, bake cookies, go sledding, for a walk , what ever fun special things you can do.

Best Answer

Kay,

Last year at this time, I was packing my house up to move because I was being foreclosed and looking for a job. We had no Christmas to speak of and it was awful. I wouldn't do that again if I can help it. This year, I'm making gifts and doing things very simply, but I am having a Christmas. It doesn't have to be much -- the love and togetherness of family and friends is what it's all about. (Other than celebrating Jesus' b-day.)

I would suggest a local food bank or church food pantry to see about being eligible to receive some groceries to make some festive goodies. Try thinking of starting some new traditions. And, making and decorating cookies isn't such a big expense. Be honest with your kids and let them know that things have to be different this year, but it doesn't have to terrible. It's actually liberating to be able to avoid all of the commercial aspects that have cluttered the Christmas Holiday. When I get all of the junk mail with sales going on, I just chuck it all in the trash can because I don't want to be tempted to go out and spend money that I don't have.

I wish you all the best. Also, don't be too proud to ask for charity if you need it.

Best Answer

We never have gotten all caught up in the commercial aspects of Christmas thankfully, my mother never raised us that way and for that i will forever be grateful God rest her soul. :) Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Best Answer

Change your religion to Jehovah Witness they dont celebrate it!

Best Answer

im so so sorry is there anyone or any charities you can turn to? there has to be away

Best Answer

tell them the republicans stole it.

Best Answer