My parents have a very dysfunctional marriage. My father its a horrible man and treats my mother badly, he has a complete lack of respect for her and their relationship. My Mom puts up with quite a lot. I try to distance myself because I know there is nothing I can do to change either of them. At thus point, I want no part of their lives but I have many siblings that I know would be upset with me if I just stopped speaking to them. I would like to just get away from my parents, I'm building up a lot of anger and resentment towards them both. How/can I get away??
starfish29 starfish29 26-30, F 7 Answers Dec 27, 2013 in Family Struggles

If you live at home, you have to distance yourself emotionally; their marriage is between the two of them; it's unfortunate that they've stayed married when they should have cut each other loose long ago. All you can really do is be there for your siblings, but make it very clear to your parents that their individual relationship with each other, comes at a huge cost to the rest of the family.

Best Answer

Limit how often you see them. Like living away from home (I moved to a different state to escape my parents) and only agreeing to short dinners or lunches to catch up.

Also speaking to a friend and a professional helps alot. I handles my parents so much better this year because I have been seeing a professional.

Best Answer

Well, you can get away from your parents without abandoning your siblings. Just ignore your parent's existence since all you worry is your siblings, no? If you hate them so much, just take your siblings out once in a while to avoid seeing them.

But then, my best advice would be to try to forgive your parents and do something about your father abusive behavior to your mother..

Best Answer

I can't help but feel my Mom is hopeless at this point, she goes back and he doesn't even ask her too. I don't know how to just see my siblings and not my parents. I hate to abandon my Mom but there's nothing else I can do.

Best Answer

I'm also in that sort of dysfunctional family actually but different family problem. Actually you have a lot that you can do. You can bring peace to yourself by seeking help from hypnotherapist (that's what I currently do) or report your dad or trying to beat some sense to your dad so he would stop being so abusive to your mom..
well, at least that's what I thought

Best Answer

See a psychologist,best money you will ever spend.....*trust me on this one.*

Best Answer

Wish I could afford to! I'm sure I and my parents need it!

Best Answer

I moved to another state... that seems to have worked out rather nicely. ;} Long distance relationships with disagreeable family is a wonderful thing. ;}

Best Answer

I have been seriously contemplating this. Thank you for your answer.

Best Answer

You won't regret it I'm sure. Good luck! ;}

Best Answer

I moved to another county... Turns out that wasn't far away enough.

Best Answer

** laughing ** Bummer... damned internet anyway... ;}

Best Answer

You must have limited contact to keep your sanity. Life is too short to be with toxic people, regardless of whether they are family or not.

Best Answer

Very true!

Best Answer