Chocolategirl18 Chocolategirl18 18-21, F 11 Answers Sep 12, 2012 in EP

Okay... So you're talking about 'mass' communication and not communication in general, right?

Mass communication started with Gutenberg, who invented the printing press back in the early 1400s, and has grown steadily ever since, with respect to the speed at which we can get information... so it really isn't anything 'new'... it's just more widespread.

It's a good thing, in that we can get information more rapidly and more easily, but I also think that, with respect to the various forms of media that we now have, it can also be a bad thing. Since we tend to believe everything that we read or hear, many good people who are trying to do good things are slandered by the press (which is very selective about reporting), while other critical issues (like genocide in Africa) are going unreported.

While in America we (thankfully) have 1st Amendment rights, and newsworthy items can't be squelched, what we generally hear is backed by 'big money' interests, and we're only getting the news that powerbrokers want us to hear and read.

Best Answer

i thought mass communication was when then priest spoke to you in church.

Best Answer

It brings all us far flung EPers together in a way that's just not possible otherwise.

Best Answer

it makes us anti social

Best Answer

Pretty much ruined the need for high school reunions. I haven't lost touch with any of my close friends from 10th grade onwards because of facebook. I know what they're up to and with apps like "Whatsapp" and "Tango", I can contact pretty much anyone, anywhere in the world, at anytime. I have friends who have relocated all over the world and its nice I know what they're up to

Best Answer

It used to be that a motivated troll could only communicate face to face to a dozen or so people. Then thanks to the printing press that could be extended to indefinite amounts of people, in a sort of one on one communication. Now with point-to-masses communications such as radio and television, a highly motivated troll can spam literally millions of lives with the same effort of communicating to one person.

Best Answer

Astronomically dependent on it.

Best Answer

In so many ways

Best Answer

like?

Best Answer