GaryDF GaryDF 56-60, M 12 Answers Nov 14, 2012 in Community

Usually by speaking to them.

Best Answer

very carefully

Best Answer

Why?

Best Answer

Because there is truth to what they are saying because its their reality.
THANK YOU FOR B.A. :
This is the only way I could Thank you :)

Best Answer

By talking to them calmly and rationally. Note, this is not about trying to convince them of anything. You can still speak with most delusional people.

Best Answer

Your right about this fact.

Best Answer

I was going to make a facetious reply and say in broken English, but on realizing the question was posed in earnest, the answer is a lot more complex, and depends on your objective. I don't possess professional therapeutic expertise, but my personal inclination would be to proceed in a manner that did not increase disturbance, and attempt to lead the conversation toward improvement in contact with reality...

Best Answer

I have been taking this approach. Thanks.

Best Answer

Medicate them

Best Answer

On the contrary. Some meds turn these people into Zombies. They need understanding from good people.

Best Answer

Ironically your head went straight to Pharmaceuticals ... huh...

Best Answer

I'm not a psychologist, so I don't know, but I can take a guess that it might be good to try not to "talk them out of it." Maybe you can play along?

I once heard an interview with a woman whose mother was suffering from Alzheimer's, not the same thing, I know, but the woman was living in a delusion that it was 1942 and she was a high school student. She did not recognize her own daughter, but instead was convinced that her daughter was classmate and friend.

At the first the woman was really upset, but it gradually dawned on her that, if she played along with her mom's delusion and just spoke to her as if they really were in high school in the 1940s, she could at least still have some kind of relationship with her mom that way.

Best Answer

You make a good point. Yes, playing along with sincerity is a respectable approach. Thank you.

Best Answer

Seriously, job for the professionals.

Best Answer

This person has a prof. What they need are friends.

Best Answer

Well that is really good of you. It depends on how they are that day I guess. Knew one woman whose delusions were religious, seeing the Virgin Mary etc. I just listened mainly. Other guy who gets on a bus route quick regularly can get quite aggressive, bit scary, try to calm him down. In general I would say keep them calm and not provoke them. Does this person have any history of violence?

Best Answer

Not sure, I will try to find out. This person is generally passive. Thanks.

Best Answer

Well yeah do, and well done you.

Best Answer

Enter into their world..lol

Best Answer

Thanks for the idea.

Best Answer

Pretend that you're seeing and hearing things that he/she isn't.

Best Answer

I have heard of this technique used before. Thanks!

Best Answer