Zoranna Zoranna 56-60, F 13 Answers Mar 18 in Community

I use to think I was a good speller until spell check

Best Answer

You're probably a better speller than you think. haha

Best Answer

No. It isn't. But I have decided that if the public school system is so ineffective and the US is going to dumb down spelling so that the American accent will in time become a language of its own, its not for me to comment. Fortunately I have the perspicacity to translate them into the Queens English.

Best Answer

I live in Western Australia so can't comment on the American school system, but I loved your use of the word "perspicacity", I really did. :-)

Best Answer

Melbourne here. :)

Best Answer

Auckland here.

Best Answer

Oh god I am so with you on this one. The standard of English on this website is atrocious, especially considering that the majority of people here speak English as their first language. I've seen people who have been learning it for less time and still write better than those who have only ever spoken English!

Best Answer

Totally agree with you, thank you. :-)

Best Answer

chat rooms, forums , instant messaging, twitter, iphones and pretty much all web hangouts were craftily designed around and implemented for this current generation.<br />
all tech heads held a meeting at communication HQ years ago. their findings in a nutshell were, dumb it down.

Best Answer

A smashing success!

Best Answer

Well I cant spell, thats why man made spell check.

Best Answer

Haha You lazy so and so. Just joking. :-)

Best Answer

Why thanj you :)

Best Answer

You're welcome. Hope I didn't offend you, I was joking. :-)

Best Answer

*thank you. My spell checks not on at the moment.

Best Answer

Well that's obvious. haha

Best Answer

No... it isn't just you. It's quite distracting for some of us.

Best Answer

It's annoying more than anything. I really shouldn't let it bother me, but it does. Heavens! haha

Best Answer

I think texting has ruined at least two generations of spellers. ;{

Best Answer

I agree with you. All the abbreviations they use, its as if they can't speak English anymore. Anyway, I feel better now that I've got that off my chest. Don't think the younger generation will care at all, so I might as well shut up. haha

Best Answer

You can't change the world.

Best Answer

Would never want to.

Best Answer

Nobody's expecting it to change. Illiteracy is rampant that's all, and we'll just have to accept it.

Best Answer

Why should we have to accept it? You really think that? Oh gosh, sigh.

Best Answer

I help out through the local adult literacy program, but have had limited success with those I've tutored. I'm thinking that teaching is not my calling. Older students get angry, and younger ones think I'm hilarious. ;{

Best Answer

Good for you. I spent just over a year tutoring a Down Syndrome lad who'd been badly let down by our system. His writing did improve but his confidence soared. I loved my time with him, but sadly the organisation saw no hope for improvement, and citing "Funding" decided to take him out of the program. I was heartbroken. :-(

Best Answer

Funding... I've come to despise that word in regard to education. It never came up in my twenty-two years in the Air Force. There was always enough money to hurt people and break things.

Best Answer

It's obviously very different in civilian life, sadly.

Best Answer

sorry that im dicslesic lol

Best Answer

Well that's a valid excuse. What about the others? I don't mean to pick, but it just seems lazy to me. They should know how to spell correctly, or they simply don't care to. I'm going to shut up now. haha

Best Answer

well i guess not every one is as well educated as you ....and it probably winds u up to see spelling mistakes lol

Best Answer

why are u having a pop at me for lol

Best Answer

i am an english language teacher, however, my typing is crap.<br />
this could be the probbbleemmm

Best Answer