I got my high school letter in chess......that was considered a sport
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, ba
2. a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
Golf and snooker would probably fall under #3.
Golf at the elite level they require a great deal of fitness
always one player that rocks the boat