I just wanted to update nobody in particular and say that my neck still hurts to move- its been a few days now :( I know I shouldn't be a whiny complaining ***** but if anyone can give me an idea of how to make this pain go away I would be eternally grateful. I dont have a neck brace so I'm using my scarf to give as much heat and support as it can. My neck hurts every time I even remotely move it. I'm putting off seeing a doctor because i can currently only afford crappy insurance that doesn't cover much. so I'd like to not have to see a dr for him to say "take aleve and some rest", until i know its something more. How long do you think it'll take for my neck to heal? I just got it from sleeping wrong. I'm keeping it rested a lot now and taking aleve. So far its been 4 days. What do you think? (Yeah, you can tell me to suck it up... as long as you give a good reason why) I know i'm a wuss >sigh<
CrazyHappySad CrazyHappySad 22-25, F 9 Answers Nov 19, 2011

I have two ruptured disks in my neck. So neck pain is something I've become accustomed to. But still when I sleep and mess it up worse it can take anywhere from a day or two to very well over a week to get back to normal. <br />
Asking about it or talking about it doesn't make you a wuss. But whining about it constantly would.<br />
Hope it feels better real soon!

Best Answer

First I wanted to tell you that I am sorry that you're hurting this way. I truly am. I hope you heal. I also wanted to let you know that there are a lot of people here who know how you're feeling and they aren't strangers to pain. They have excellent suggestions. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have slept the wrong way and woke up with the worse neck pain you could imagine. Many have said that heat helps. This is so true. I don't know why. Maybe it's because the heat expands the blood vessels? And makes the blood flow more freely through them, aleviating the pressure of the pain?? Why it works, I don't know, but it does. Yes so does massaging. Also, if I were you, I would stay away from processed sugar. Sugar creates inflamation which could also make the pain linger. My pain lasted over a week. Maybe a couple. I am not a doctor, but it sounds like either a pinched nerve, like some say, or you could have pulled a muscle in your sleep. Even though pineapple is a sweet fruit and you should stay away from sugar as a rule, pineapple is a natural anti-inflammatory, and I have heard that if you eat huge quantities of it for 3 days or more, it will help relieve the pain. If it's in your budget to buy and eat a lot, I would say give it a try. Also try soaking a towel in a little warmer than warm water and epson salt and slightly ring it and put in on your neck. When it cools off, repeat soaking it, then ring it out and place back on neck.

Best Answer

I send you white light, and I visualise your neck healing and returning to perfect health...you deserve some breakthrough and I pray for that to finally commence! sending you healing sparkling white light that attends and heals if you are open to it...

Best Answer

I dont know exactly whats going on with your neck but I used to twang my neck out of whack sometimes when I would lift heavy things, mostly logs, over my head. Something would just go 'yank' and I would know I dun goofed, I would be too full of work-power-endorphin type stuff to feel much that day but the next morning I would wake up barely able to move my head or neck at all without excruciating pain. I would generally not move my head and tried to sleep as long as possible for the following week but now and then frustration would cause me to forcibly rotate and stretch the entire range of motion of my neck. Eventually a couple weeks or a month later I would get back to normal, it happened a few times, nothing I can authoritatively say to do about it but wait it out and keep away from jerks who will fake jabs at your face to try to get you to move your head and light up your life with searing pain.

Best Answer

I do not know what you did but I was 17 or 18 and I woke up and jerked my head because I had thought I heard a noise and something went way wrong in my neck.I had a neck ache for months.I should have gone a lot sooner than I did but go see a chiro,maybe you just need an adjustment.

Best Answer

You might have a pinched nerve. I got a badly pinched nerve once from sleeping in a chair. It was so bad, I could barely move my arm for a week. Ideally, a chiropractor could help you, but if you cannot afford that, try leaning your head all the way forward on your chest. That will relieve the pressure. Also, rotating your head a bit to loosen your neck up helps. If you can get a massage, that could be a big help, too. Other than that, it will just take time.

Best Answer

I would also see about getting a new pillow if you've had the one you're currently using for awhile. Sometimes if you've had a pillow for awhile it no longer gives you the neck support you need, and can maintain or exacerbate a sore neck. What you're doing is about all you can do for something like that, I think. If you can soak in a hot tub up to your neck that might help as well--I'm a big believer in wet heat for sore muscles.

Best Answer

maybe go get a massage? im not sure how long it will take to heal. when i was in a car accident and had really bad whiplash, my neck hurt really bad for a while. could take a week or two. also try putting heat on it. that helps

Best Answer