Can some people begin to get back to normal within a few hours? This isn't about me btw!
RomanceGirly RomanceGirly 16-17, F 12 Answers Feb 27, 2013 in Suicide

It's not the suicide attempt they need to recover from, but whatever it was that caused it. Sadly some people never recover.

Best Answer

Look, people don't just impulsively think they will commit suicide then bounce back to normal in a few hours. Suicide is usually the product of chronic depression and while the suicidal episode might pass for a time, it will still be lurking there and the person needs to be taken care of with supervision and attention.

Best Answer

It depends on how serious it was, were they hospitalized?

Best Answer

Thanks for your answer :) No they were't hospitalized. They went back to school to finish some work though.

Best Answer

They should be fine soon if they didnt go to the hospital it probably wasnt too serious/ tramatic

Best Answer

They could feel a little better in a few hours but it doesn't happen over night. It usually takes a few months to recover completely, depending on what they did and how bad they are. <br />
If they truly attempted it with no holding back, for one, they should be in the hospital and recovering there. It'll take a few months to a year. <br />
If someone attempted it and held back, meaning did it with the thoughts of suicide but never came close, it could be a few weeks to a few months in a hospital, depending on the seriousness.

Best Answer

Thanks for answering :) The person said they tried but they couldn't do it and within a few hours they were jokey when I was texting them. They also went back to school with a friend and they were doing work and debating together until about 6pm, so I thought that was quick for someone who tried to commit suicide that same day.

Best Answer

Oh, I see. I wouldn't ignore that completely, if she's trying, then that means that she's thinking about it. It's not to say she will do it completely but it doesn't mean that the thought isn't there. She could just be putting up a complete facade, just to make you think that she's okay but she really isn't. I would keep a close eye on her as well and please, tell her parents. I know she'll get upset with you but her parents need to know. If you can't, tell yours..or a teacher..school counselor, principal, anyone who can help her. I know it may not seem serious but it could be a little more serious than what you think.

Best Answer

Oh it's a guy :) well his sister knew he was really upset about something bad that happened to someone close to him and he was drinking but I don't know if she knew he tried to commit suicide. Before I went to bed I asked how he was and he said a lot better. The thing he was upset about was sorted a couple of weeks later. He's been fine since and he's been out to parties and stuff. A few days after he tried to do it I saw him at an event.

Best Answer

Sorry, my bad. Either way, he may be fine now but you should still tell someone about it. There could be a chance that he'd slump down in the same depressive state and be serious that time. One big lesson to learn in life is to never take suicide lightly. Even if someone says they're okay or sounds as if they're doing it to create drama, always alert someone.

Best Answer

I think that it is probably different for everyone, and would depend alot on the circumstances involved. Within a few hours though, I doubt back to normal. I would imagine that seeming normal is just a front or a way to cope rather than signalling they actually feel completley fine.

Best Answer

The first month is generally very difficult. More so if more people know. It really depends on what kind of support system and how much help the person has in recovering.

Best Answer

Some can begin recovery right away. It's completing the recovery that takes a long time!

Best Answer

depends on the reason why tht person wants to die

Best Answer

it all depends on why and how they tried to do it,I think it would take a while, my mom had a friend that tried to commit suicide by hanging,she was actually on the phone with him,when he tried it he lives in another state so we called a relative to check on him and thank god they got there on time,it has been a month,and he has not recovered sadly he has turned to drugs, but if you can try to help and talk to this person so they know they will have someone to talk to

Best Answer