Storm1309 Storm1309 18-21, F 11 Answers Jul 30, 2012

It's the liver that gets most of us... I only drank hard five years, but that was enough to show in the blood tests they do when you donate: rejected. Wet brains take a lot longer, but every day drinking is a waste.

Best Answer

Besides bunnyhounds grandfather. It depends on the age. Binge drinking before your midtwenties can do some serious damage. But violent binge drinking can start doing serious damage in a few years.

Best Answer

Seems like a lot depends on the persons genetics. Look at Ozzy Osbourne--by all logic he should be long-dead.

Best Answer

Id say it depends on the person. My stepdad is an alcoholic and he's been sick off and on for years but he just keeps on drinking his life away and being an *******

Best Answer

It seems to me that the earlier in life that a person starts drinking, particularly if they start drinking as children or in their early teens the more damage is done. Some people can drink to excess for many years and not be aware of any impairment although those close to them may often be aware of it. My brother started drinking at age thirteen encouraged by our father who was an alcoholic. Our father seemed to be able to hold it but my brother was showing signs of permanent brain damage by his early thirties. My brother died less than a year after our father died. He did not reach my present age. He was 54 years old, never had a girlfriend and never left home. It looks to me like he stopped growing at thirteen years of age.

Best Answer

No way to deduce that. If one is alcoholic it would have to be self diagnosed and being aware of the damage being caused by their drinking and the ego/disease can be expert in covering that up (denial)

Best Answer

my mother is an alcoholic and although she does not deny it she also does not want to stop.... do you believe that if a person REALLLLYYY wants to stop they can? Sometimes i get so angry that she wont even try...

Best Answer

I said the same thing; "Yeah I'm an alkie, so I may as well have another one with the rest of them" It's just where it led me that caused me to seek help. Can they really stop? Some maybe but I couldn't, not without help, so I went to A.A. I found out about them because of a run in with the law, otherwise I would've never known they were there most likely.

Best Answer

My mother tried the A.A but gave up after one session. Then she just lied about going and didnt go. Now she doesnt even bother lieng about it anymore.

Best Answer

The only alcoholics who ever get well are those who get AA. It is free, voluntary and anonymous. The only requirement for successful sobriety is the desire to get sober. There are all sorts of characters in the fellowship and they seem to really enjoy telling their misadventures to one another and laughing, mainly at themselves. An alcoholic will let others laugh at them freely so long as they admit to being alcoholic too. It is a shared journey of recovery. Some of the meetings are open and accept observers by arrangement. I am not 'in the club' myself but attended meetings while my father and brother were drinking themselves to death. My attendance did not help them of course, but scared me off it for life.

Best Answer

Recovery is always possible Storm1309 for an alcoholic who really wants to stop drinking however hopeless their case appears. Unless they want to stop drinking an alcoholic will progressively lose everything, marriage, children, friends, job, drivers license, bank account, mental and physical health. I have seen close friends/family members drink themselves to a complete bankruptcy of hope, health and happiness. If an alcoholic will consider what is at stake and accept friendly help from a voluntary community group like AA then they can and many do become completely sober and slowly regain their business, home, personal and spiritual life. There are no fees or dues for membership in AA, meetings are anonymous and confidential, and some groups welcome observers who accept these terms. For an alcoholic who does not want to stop the situation is far more grave. There is not very much that anyone else can do for them except find support for themselves from other friends and relatives of alcoholics.

Best Answer

my grandfather drank wild turkey every day for 65 years and died of a totally unrelated blood clot

Best Answer

65 years is a long time....perhaps it really does depend on a persons genetics...

Best Answer