If so what was it that you learned most from the experience?
oncemoor oncemoor 41-45, M 6 Answers Nov 16, 2012 in Community

Only for a few months, but I was most struck by how close together the people lived. I grew up on 40+ acres on the outskirt of a town of 5,000 and there I was in the heart of London. That was shell shock.

Best Answer

I'm American and lived in the UK for a year and in India for a year. I learned that I'm a lot more adaptable than I thought, and most of the things that I thought I needed in order to have a happy life, I really didn't.

Best Answer

Me, on three different occasions. I learned that nothing is as important as I think it is, and that what is important in my country of origin isn't necessarily important elsewhere. Very humbling indeed.

Best Answer

that is very true indeed

Best Answer

i have.. i learned that no matter how much time passes, no matter where else i may call home, i will never stop missing the country/city where i was born..

Best Answer

Funny that is very different then my experience. I guess the most profound change I went through was never really feeling Spanish but no longer truly feeling American. Also it became very hard for me to relate to people that hadn't lived abroad. I find myself quick to discount their opinions. I am also much more sensitive to things in cultures which are indoctrinated into us.

Best Answer

not so different.. i will never feel completely american but i know that i am no longer completely russian and never will be...

Best Answer

I lived in Lisbon 2 years and in London for 10. And I felt like you, not English but not 100% Brazilian anymore. And I also find hard to relate to people that hadn´t lived abroad...

Best Answer

I have. Several times.

Best Answer

I ´ve learned to appreciate other cultures and cherish my own.

Best Answer