i have always understood it to be 10 years, if you replace a sitting President in the first 2 years of a term you can only run for re-election 1 time for 4 years. however, if you replace a sitting President in the last 2 years of his term you can run for re-election 2 times for 2 - 4 year terms (8 years). the only president to hold office for longer was Franklin D. Roosevelt. he held office for 12 years. thank you all for your answers.
litabug3 litabug3 36-40, F 10 Answers Feb 18, 2012

No more than 8 years, I think. I know it's no more than 2 terms.

Best Answer

Elected for 4, maximum term is 8 upon reelection.

Best Answer

8

Best Answer

8

Best Answer

Actually it would be unlimited if he is serving out another president's term multiple times. The limit is on the number of times one is eligible for election<br />
"No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice, and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. "

Best Answer

it can be 12 if you are the vice president and the president dies shortly after taking office and you are elected 2 times

Best Answer

Did not one of our presidents extend his term due to war...Roosevelt?

Best Answer

Roosevelt served four terms. He was the reason term limits for president were set to two.

Best Answer

What happens if a vice president becomes president due to the original president resigning, impeachment, or death/health issues? Is that considered a term, and the VP turned President can only serve one more term?

Best Answer

Yes, the VP resumes the Presidents role until the term is finished. In order for the VP to serve a second term, he will have to be re-elected.

Best Answer

Thanks Tony. So lets say I am VP, and the President steps down after three years. I instantly become president for 1 year. Then the next election comes along, I win, so I get 4 more years. I just totaled 5 years, but it did span across 2 terms. Is that it?

Best Answer