I've always spoiled my son with Christmas gifts. He is seven now and last year he acted ungrateful about the items he got. I don't want him to grow up to be selfish nor do I want to deprive him. We also have an eleven month old... should we spend the same on each child and how much?
n2maynard n2maynard 26-30, F 12 Answers Dec 6, 2008

I don't buy my 3 kids any toys throughout the year and birthday is usually on the smaller side sometimes accompanied with a visit to someplace fun. When Christmas comes around we go all out and those toys last them for the year or longer. If I bought toys throughout the year I would give them a small Christmas, but because it's a special day, they get a lot. I try to get about the same quantity for all 3.

Best Answer

Don't give anything to the seven-year-old, Just explain to him that since he didn't like the presents last year you thought he'd be happier without any.<br />
It doesn't really matter what you spend on the 11 month old anyway, he's too young to compare prices.

Best Answer

what i would like to do with my kids is that we would go out and pick one toy for them and then they would get clothes and stuff they need, but that they would also have to buy one gift for a toy drive and come with me to drop it off... people have to teach their kids to be greatful....<br />
dont give them tooo much stuff because then stuff becomes the reason for christmas instead of family ... just ask my hubby he is all caught up on getting more stuff this year... i would really like to write each other a love letter and buy two gifts to give to a toy drive for people who wont get anything and that dont have much all year long..

Best Answer

I buy what they need and something (1 item) they have talked about wanting, but only if they have earned it(good grades, chores done, good behavior). As an aunt I try to spend an equal amount on each kid to keep down sibling rivalry.

Best Answer

When I was little, my parents always got my sister and I the same amount of gifts and spent the same amount of money on each of us. Usually it was 2-3 bigger items (like a toy or a book when we were older) and a few small ones, plus a stocking filled with candy and stuff. Now, my mom lets us know she spends $100 per kid per holiday (Christmas or birthday) and asks what we want her to spend this money on.<br />
Something that also helped when we were younger with the whole gift-frenzy-and-then-it's-suddenly-over thing was that we always got in a circle and took turns opening gifts (parents included). This way, we got to enjoy watching our family members open gifts from us, and we learned patience.<br />
~Jennie

Best Answer

I don't think how much you spend is as important as how much the person wants it. One year my "big gift" was a soft blanket that was long enough to cover my feet and belonged just to me (when you have 3 siblings and always have to share, it's nice to have something like that), and my older sister's was a clarinet (a real wooden one- those are expensive, in case you were wondering), and neither of us was happier then the other. As for exactly how much, that depends on how much you can afford. Definitely don't spend more than you comfortably can. Kids feel your stress more then you realize.

Best Answer

i would always make sure you give your children the same amount on presents. but your 11 month old doesnt even understand what christmas is yet so they will not understand if they are getting less. you know? i would spoil the kid. honestly. christmas is once a year.<br />
just dont spoil him year round.

Best Answer

I can't really relate to this, because in my house, I don't buy toys and junk all through the year. I only buy them at christmas and her birthday. That way she will appreciate the toys she got and make them last. My parents did us that way, and we were appreciative as well...maybe the children are ungrateful because they get what they want all year, so christmas is not really special to them.

Best Answer