suicide. My parents are in denial over it all and have been of no help at all. I am the only one who has been supporting her but I feel completely out of my depth as well as very alone. I haven't spoken to anyone about this but want to tell a colleague. Yet, I am scared as to whether I will be judged or not or if my family will. I am also frightened of breaking down. Also, how are you just meant to come out with these things? Keeping it inside is driving me nuts-I need support and a hug but how to get it?
Jenni855 Jenni855 26-30, F 14 Answers May 1, 2012

She needs to be seen by a Doctor, and kudos on you supporting her and staying by her, but you really need to get her to a doctor to get her some help, this will ease some of your stress.... you need some type of support , don't worry about what People say or do at least your are TRYING to help her , if it wasn't for you , she would probably be in a worst situation... but DO what you can as soon as you can...this is gonna suck if it gets any worse or this will continue to eat up at you .... Hope things get better

Best Answer

Thank you. Yes, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately as she is 18, it is something she has to do alone and decide to do.

Best Answer

That is true, but their are ways to get her seen and she will have no choice... if she is this bad off she needs some help... and for you to be standing by her this long and helping her that is amazing, hard to find someone to do that... BUT maybe Please don't get mad, but you may need to put her in a institution for a little bit so she can get the help she needs....

Best Answer

I'm not mad but not going to deny that thought is very upsetting.

Best Answer

It is good that you are being supportive of her. Many parents/adults are under the impression that mental illness should never be talked about or even acknowledged so they shun the possibility that someone they love could be suffering from it. Since your sister is an adult, she has to be the one to take charge of her life. There might be a slight trust factor between you two. She might think that you will tell your parents things that are going on with her. As long as you let your sister know that you will be there for her, that should be enough. You cannot force her to go see a doctor but you can offer to go with her if she would like you to be there. You setting an appointment for her to go could be seen as an act of trying to run her life for her something that parents are known for doing to their children. She has to be the one to take the steps necessary to seek help. Just make sure she knows that she can confide in you if she chooses to. I will pray for your family.

Best Answer

Thank you very much. That is kind of you.

Best Answer

unfortunately people will judge. but if u r comfortable confiding in this person then go ahead. i lost my brother to suicide nearly 3 years ago. after several attempts. i drove myself crazy with worry. and maybe just maybe u should seek some counseling yourself. it's very tramatic when a loved one is so desperate. that person needs help but take care of urself in the midst of it

Best Answer

Thank you. I know what you mean, we can't control the way people may or may not judge-it's tough. I am sorry to hear about your brother. x

Best Answer

Here's the HUG...<br />
now go get her the help that you know she needs. If she won't go with you, bring them to her. Even EP can provide support for you, but only YOU can help her get the help she needs..<br />
Good Luck

Best Answer

But she is an adult? I cant force her to accept help.

Best Answer

Bring them to her. There are many volunteers who will gladly come home with you and see what you're dealing with... call somebody!

Best Answer

Be there for her by just sitting and listening when she needs to talk, and be affectionate towards her with hugs and tell her you love her.<br />
AND find a friend you can let steam out with as well. Exercise and working out also helps.

Best Answer

Thanks. It just gets hard always being there when I have no support myself.

Best Answer

My prayers and support. That's all I can offer as of right now.

Best Answer

Check out NAMI (National Alliance of Mental Illness). They have many programs to help with the afflicted as well as families and friends of the afflicted.

Best Answer

Your sister is an Adult you can offer to listen to go to a Doctor with her if she wants but its her choice, you need support I suggest something like the Samaritans or another mental health charity who will listen to how your sisters health affects you <br />
I have an older sister with shizophrenia & is not taking meds & she makes a lot of trouble in the past she has accused me of spying on her & once after an argument she told the police I had hit her the police pressured me to accept a caution but I got legal advice & went to court & at the last minute the case was dropped - very very stressful & it has affected my health

Best Answer

She needs professional help and your support. It's a travesty when families do pull together in these situations. I hope you can keep things afloat. But remember you can only do so much. What your sister does is her responsibility.

Best Answer

Yes, thank you. I understand it's her responsibility and I can only do so much. Thats the most frustrating thing.

Best Answer

your 30 years old?

Best Answer

No, 26. Why does it make a difference? I still deserve some support and a person I can chat to openly surely?

Best Answer

just seems your a little old to worry about being judged by your parents or hiding something.

Best Answer

I didn't realise only very young people could be afraid of how a mental illness could be perceived by the outside world?

Best Answer

im not sure you are aware, but 99 percent of the people in the world don't know their *** from their head

Best Answer

Whatever. I just think you should think before you post something so patronizing and nasty.

Best Answer

sorry

Best Answer