expo67 expo67 51-55, M 8 Answers Dec 31, 2011

Keep your keys on you, in your pocket (if you're a guy), or some such object you have to hold. A pen works well also. Anything that you have to keep on you will work. Take that object, and when you feel fear, or anxiety, slowly run your fingertips over the object. You don't have to look like Gollum and his ring.... {"..myyyyyyy prrrreeeeeeecccciouuuuuussssssss...} just absentmindedly send the signal to your brain. Your brain generally will focus on touch-sensations inbound before it will focus on internal emotional turmoil signals. Focus on your object for just a moment, and try to relate that textural feeling to another emotional feeling such as "peaceful" "calm" "tranquil."

Remember this, when you're meeting a group full of people, they all generally as a group will subconsciously recognize that there's no way you'll remember their names and such, and will generally feel a sense of compassion for you. This is especially true if all of them, or even a majority know each other. So, they will generally be predisposed to wanting to help you. Just smile, be kind, and do the best you can. If you're dealing with a foreign language, take your time, the effort is appreciated.

Best wishes!!!

Best Answer

Thank you for a truly helpful answer. I shall make sure I take something along. Much appreciated!

Best Answer

You're welcome. I have to teach classes a lot, and I have agoraphobia (fear of strangers, public, other people) so life gets weird for me at times. THAT is why I had to learn about brain signals and such, your question hit home. I hope you're helped by the suggestion.

Best Answer

Bach's rescue remedy

Best Answer

picture them in socks and underwear

Best Answer

Relax because they are as anxious as you are.

Best Answer

They've all known each other for years...

Best Answer

Is it your in-laws?

Best Answer

No. The lifelong friends of a Scottish friend.

Best Answer