Found out one of my students has autism, hence why he has been so difficult to teach. He's quite rude too. I've been reading up on it but most of my searching over the internet has just come to blogs, forums, and support groups... getting pretty stuck here! Also keep getting compared to his old teacher -_- I understand he can't help that though.... Any ideas on what to do??
CaitieLynn CaitieLynn 18-21, F 7 Answers Jun 11, 2012

Well, if you've learned anything useful about those of us who are afflicted, if we don't want to learn something, we simply will not. Make sure this is something that he wants to do, or you will be wasting both yours and his time.

Best Answer

Use a spread sheet. Have a checkbox for each day between lessons. Make sure each item s/he is to practice is concrete, including the number of repetitions. The more specific you make it, the higher the compliance.

Best Answer

If the kid plays video games, it`s too late.

Best Answer

I have a high functioning autistic son...and if this boy is not interested in learning the piano , he won't. These kids don't fit into common molds. If however, he wants to learn to play , you may have a savant on your hands. If however he is interested in the history of things then teaching him the origins of the piano and why it would be good to learn might be helpful. Although this may be the parents' job.

Best Answer

Well, he is interested in learning to play things such as the Big Bang Theory theme music, and video game music ... I don't think he minds the piano so much. But he definitely prefers to experiment with the sounds other sounds of a keyboard.
Do you need to do everything slowly with your son, or does he pick it up straight away? How do you teach him things?

Best Answer

plain routine every time he comes and baisicly... autistic children decide them self what they want to lern... (they know were their talant's are)

Best Answer

start with a routine he enjoys (let him help decide the routine). If he is unfocused, try holding his hand while you verbally redirect him. I have found these children are comforted by touch. Allow him some choice in what he learns. These kids will often surprise you in their abilities when they are allow to choose the activity. Often regalia (concrete ob<x>jects) are your best resource to use to engage them. These children are usually focused on one thing and cannot move on until the thing they are focused on is resolved or fixed. Hope this helps.

Best Answer