Much of what is written in the Bible is about what men DID, not about what God condones. Where God orders all of a race of people to be destroyed it is to stop the evil being practiced by that group of people from spreading to the Israelites. Remember also that God takes children who die before a certain age, which is not specified to my knowledge, to heaven, so those children who died thus, may well be better off than they would have been had they lived their lives otherwise.

Best Answer

Succinct and to the point. Are you sure you're not a writer? ;-)

Best Answer

Thank you. I appreciate the honest straight forward answer you've given me here, and thanks for not berating me for asking the question. If I say that God had nothing to do with some of the laws in the old testament, would you agree or disagree?

Best Answer

There are laws there that were Jewish tradition as opposed to God's laws given to man. In the New Testament, that is the conflict between Jesus and the pharisees. The pharisees are trying to honor their ancestors, which in and of itself is not wrong, but Jesus' main focus is giving honor to God.

Best Answer

By putting it in it's historical and cultural context

Best Answer

So God condones stoning a woman to death for not being a virgin on her wedding day because of the time that it was happening and the culture of the people? (I'm not trying to be difficult. honest.)

Best Answer

no...god didn't say anything like that. I think of it more like a whole room can see the same incident and perceive it completely differently. God didn't stop them...so they assumed their deity sanctioned their actions. They prospered so they assumed that was because god was on their side...others looking at the same thing ...might say that was result of actions, abuses, and war making. It's perceptions of the people who wrote and interpreted those texts along the years that are incorrect. We cannot blame their god..for those peoples' misdeeds and misinterpretations.....they did them.

Best Answer

if you read it...it's clearly not written from the perspective of god....even though there are some instances in the book where the person is retelling a divine experience they had...but that is not the same thing as god literally giving his words...

Best Answer

In the world but not part of it. I have been disciplined in love. I know that by being in an imperfect world I am surrounded by sin and the consequences of sin. By the way, if the bible was made into a movie, yes it would have to be x-rated.

Best Answer

The great thing about believing in an invisible magic say daddy is you can make up any explanation that you want to justify anything.

Best Answer

What you're asking for would require a thesis and there isn't enough room or time here to adequately address the question.

Best Answer

Yes my details were originally a thesis in themselves, but I had to rewrite them to keep them out of the Mature section.

Best Answer

I agree entirely. I don't know whether a God exists or not but I have no doubt the bible was written by man and reflects values and opinions of the time.

Best Answer

My fundamentalist friends don't like my opinions much!

Best Answer

Every good book has that stuff in it. It's just a action packed book

Best Answer

because man wrote the bible without realizing god doesn't belong to any set religion

Best Answer

I'm pretty suspicious of that because so many negative human attributes and qualities are ascribed to God.

Best Answer

we are "made in his image after all"

Best Answer

It is just a story relax try ****

Best Answer

Sorry. I thought about cancelling the question because it kept going to Mature Topics. It did three times. This time I changed the wording of the details and it didn't get thrown in mature topics. I had to check,

Best Answer

@huntressartemis, yes. Those kind of people are doing their faith a disservice.

Best Answer