If you bother to read all my stories about my life in the few groups I subscribe too, you'll know the full extent to which my life is now asking this question to the public on this site. I've come a long way from once a fiance and stay at mother to being a single-mom, a student and aspiring educator. But I'm also homeless, not living in a box under a highway homeless, but the room I'm renting is facing a highway and my son has his own bed and aside from the noise of the cars zooming by my life goes on too. I often wonder how other single moms or fathers would handle the same situation having to start from rock bottom, without all the comforts family and friends may offer to soften the hardship you'll face until you're able to stand on your own. I'm not alone in this experience... I live with other single moms going thru the same thing, but I never would've found them nor got this far on my own living with family and friends. I still got plenty ways to go.
Leolani Leolani 26-30, F 14 Answers Nov 11, 2012 in Single Parenthood

i don't know what it's like to be homeless, but i know the fear of becoming homeless. no familial support, no definite direction/plan, no guarantee of success.... it scares the hell out of me. but it's amazing the sort of stuff people are willing to do when they put another's needs before their own. my boyfriend is in a sense homeless (temporarily living with relatives, moving from one brother's place to another's), and he's ended up in ruts where he's supporting their family instead of supporting himself and finding a way out of the situation.

i commend you for going through all this, you must be quite an amazing person, and i hope things become much easier for you soon.

Best Answer

i was the 8 yr old homeless kid with my Mom after my Dad left us when Mom couldnt find another job. it was tuff cause ppl talk about u and you just dont have a comfort zone. but the thing that kept me strong was seeing how strong my Mom was when she was there. i was scared i would be abandoned n all by myself but my Mom reassured me and i felt safe. the environments sucked, just like yours sound like they do now, but you're making progress! My Mom used to tell me when i was crying about our situation that "we can only go up from here", its gonna get better but being strong and seeking all the help you can get is crucial. Just reassure your son that you're there for him, that things will get better. i wish you the best of everything and know that you can do it! keep ya head up!

Best Answer

blah blah blah

Best Answer

Been there. Sounds like u have the right perspective. It takes lots of prayer and faith to make it through. Someday u will be able to help others with what u have learned. You will appreciate your success more. At least your son can sleep in a bed and not a car, or in foster care. You are still together. Your journey to your goal is almost done.

May God continue to bless u.

Best Answer

You sound like an incredibly resilient person and I'm sure you'll be a great educator. This nightmarish experience will no doubt teach you things a classroom never could. Especially how to relate to people in desperate situations you couldn't have imagined before this tragedy. And how profoundly powerful the bond or lack of bond with friends and family can be. Earplugs to drown out the noisy cars might help ... a little. Good luck Sistah!

Best Answer

You sound like a pretty solid person to me. I have been as close as I care to get to your situation, and that is pretty close. I think about my grandparents who went bust twice during the 30s, and I can't help but think I must be really soft compared to them. So I get up every day and keep after it.

You keep rocking, sister. It's people like you that keep the world running and the hope burning bright.

Best Answer

I would do it the same way that you have, with dignity and class. Never lose sight of what you have worked so hard on achieving. In the end, and even now, you are an amazing person, and a mother that your son will respect and admire. You're a role model for anyone who is following their heart.

Best Answer

This sounds trite, but it sounds as if you're building an inner strength that both you and your son will benefit in a better future. From your brief description, I wouldn't handle it as well as you seem to be doing. May your future and the future of your son be filled with success, love, happiness, and joy. good luck.

Best Answer

Hang in there, I've been in your shoes except (thankfully) I had no children with me while I was homeless. It does get better. The most important thing is to stay at it. Don't let anything get you down so far that you stop hoping and working toward something better.

Best Answer

The cold fact of life is that a single mom is economically no viable. It's the most overlooked travesty in our country and I believe much worse than racism. God bless you. You deserve better.

Best Answer