Well judge, this is the third brief I've submitted on the issue of whether marriage is a fundamental right protected by the 14th amendment of the Constitution. Even though it is not expressly written therein, the Supreme Court has held:<br />
Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival.... To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discrimination. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.<br />
So, sir, you may not deny this right to interracial or gay couples. [one of my favorite Supreme Court Cases which too many states refuse to acknowledge]Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)

Best Answer

Thanks for the BA! Civild right and the pursuit of happiness are things I wish everyone could cherish

Best Answer