I walk around town like I own it, but deep down I feel as if people are laughing at me and all I want is to feel comfortable in my own skin. I weight in at 230 and I want to be in the 100's somewhere. I am on the swim team and I will be on the golf team. I work in the water and I think I am very active. Both my parents are obese and I don't want to get to the point where I am dependent on people. I have looked up many weight loss things online and nothing seems to help. Last year I went through the same thing and started smoking. I went from 270 to 230 and now I seem stuck.Please help me with legit answers.
glee55 glee55 16-17 28 Answers Jan 1, 2013 in Image & Weight

First, QUIT SMOKING.<br />
Second, eat more, not less, but change what you eat. You want plenty of green vegetables and dietary fiber. Eat no more than eight ounces of red meat a day, eat plenty of fish. Eat no fried foods.

Best Answer

...and drink lots of water!

Best Answer

Good job with the progress you've made already. It sounds like you're very active-- I don't know what you eat-- but given that both of your parents are overweight it sounds like it may be a genetic problem. Have your doc run a metabolic panel (does not include drug testing, so PLEASE don't flush with water because that will screw up your results) and a thyroid panel.<br />
Your thyroid regulates all of your body's activity. If it's sluggish, your energy will be down, your metabolism will be down, your weight will be up and resist all efforts to bring it down. Your doctor can tell you very quickly if that's what it is. <br />
Like others have said, focus on proteins and fruits & veggies. Drink lots of water and take a multivitamin.<br />
Here are some things you should not do:<br />
- Don't deprive yourself or go overboard. Having discipline is one thing, but punishing yourself for slipping up on your diet or workout is counter-productive. Pick up, forgive yourself, and keep on going. <br />
- Don't stress-- stress causes your body to produce cortisol and retain fat, especially around your middle.<br />
- Don't overdo your workouts. I went through a period where I trained every single day for two hours, then got injured doing something else and could only make it every other day. I lost a lot of weight! Your body needs that time to repair its muscle fibers, making your body a more efficient weight-burning machine.<br />
- Get enough sleep. I can't emphasize this enough! Not too much, not too little, but 8 hours is great. It flushes the toxins from your body and gives you that time to rest and regenerate.<br />
Like I said: Keep on going. That's the best advice I can give you. If you feel like you can't do another day at the gym, just drive out there and drive home. The HABIT is the most important thing. Keep the habit and get those tests run.

Best Answer

If nothing seems to do the trick, and both of your parents are obese, check in with your doctor to be sure there's not an underlying health issue contributing to the problem, such as over-active thyroid. Obesity also runs in my mom's family as does a thyroid condition.

Best Answer

Too bad about the smoking thing, for obvious health reasons, but chances are, if you quit that, your weight will balloon. <br />
Here is my best advice; no diets. A total lifestyle change, but no diet. <br />
Quit soda altogether, get a juicer, eat fresh/frozen fruits veggies whenever possible, and lots of them. Careful on the fruits, though, as they contain natural sugar, so don't cut the veggies out and think eating only fruit will make you lose weight. <br />
Get even more active, doing things that will exercise different groups of muscles other than what you normally do. <br />
Water. Lots and lots of water. <br />
Read labels. <br />
I could go on and on, but the very best way to control what goes into your body is to keep it simple, fresh, and natural whenever possible, and avoid quick packaged/processed crap if you can. <br />
The weight will just fall off.

Best Answer

Can you go on please because I need more examples. Thanks!

Best Answer

Sure. Get a Brita water pitcher or two, because amazingly it really does make a difference in how water tastes. I HATED drinking water once, and now I like it because of the filter.
Try whole wheat bread instead of white. I got used to it, even came to like it.
If you bake, especially using the pulp if you get a juicer, try using half whole wheat flower. I found using only whole wheat flower is just too nasty, and tastes like something a goat could only like.
I used honey often in place of sugar, but it is still a natural sugar, so not too much.
There is this stuff, and plant extract called Stevia, which isn't made in a lab and toxic like many artificial sweetners, but it has a really strong taste, and I didn't like it, but maybe you would.
Oh, and watching lots of food/health documents on Netflix educated me, and actually made me feel disgusted toward junk food/fast food. Try it.
Eat omega capsules.
I also use skim or two percent milk, and it doesn't bother me.
Part skim mozerealla cheese when cheese is needed.
And my personal favorite, no red meat, or pork.
I will eat some chicken, but prefer lean turkey. I make fresh turkey breast mostly, but there are amazing amounts of things out there made from turkey meat, like sausage, burger, hotdogs, bacon, etc.
After only about two months of eating better, I no longer felt like I woke up sore and unrested. It really does benefit every aspect of your life, including mentally.
:)

Best Answer

Oops...flour, I meant, not flower.

Best Answer

Thank you so much this is what i needed. Thank you thank you thank you!

Best Answer

You are welcome, and I really do wish the best for you. You are still so young, so it should be easier for you than this old hag. :)

Best Answer

The only thing thy ever worked for me was to cut out the crappy food eat 100% healthy only drink water and exercise for an hour a day 6 days a week! It worked for me :) good luck you need to be strict with yourself!

Best Answer

Thanks

Best Answer

You shouldn't smoke.<br />
Just make sure your diet is good. Cutting down portions and eating a certain amount of calories a day. Depending on how much you want to lose- type into google 'calorie counter' and you should be able to put your age, how much you weigh, how much you want to weigh and the amount of time you want and it will tell you tell the calories needed. <br />
Keep exercising as much as possible. Anything.

Best Answer

Ask your parents if you can join Weight Watchers. If you are able to show them that you mean business about your health, then maybe they will follow suit and join too. WW has programs for teens and can help you deal with peer pressure regarding food served at school and going to parties. Keep up the exercise from the swim team. Give up the smoking, it isn't helping you.

Best Answer

If you want to do WW privately they have online options which do not require you to attend a meeting.If you are a member of a gym or the YMCA find out how much personal training costs. I paid for three sessions at my local YMCA and they helped me realize that I could get more bang for my buck with a different workout routine. It really helped get me out a rut. It was only 90$, very reasonable.

Best Answer

I don't have 90$

Best Answer

You don't have to pay $90 to join WW. They have free joining during the first few weeks of new years. Since you are a teen, I would recommend going to meetings. That is how you will get the support you need.

Best Answer

I bet u are beautiful just the way u are

Best Answer

1. Looking good for other people isnt as good as liking the way you look losing weight isn't just about looking good it's about being healthier and yes believe it or not happier... <br />
2. Have you called Jenny yet? seriously, its a good program, my boss she lost 34 pounds in that time fr<x>ame, not saying thats a guarantee but hey IT WORKS!

Best Answer

Thanks

Best Answer

maybe you should work with a nutritionist to help you lose the weight

Best Answer

I hit a weight loss plateau at about 230...<br />
I suggest calorie cycling.<br />
http://www.answerfitness.com/316/zig-zag-dieting-fitness-nerd/<br />
I have found it to help.

Best Answer

Look into "Atkins Diet" it is quite strict and it worked for me.. yes I was over 200 lbs.. I am short too. I went down to a size 8 in some time. I am sure you could too on it. Best of luck and no matter what stay strong mentally.

Best Answer

Eat the foods you already love, but fool your mind. Serve yourself on a smaller plate. It makes your mind think you're eating more. 8 8oz glasses of water daily should also be helpful. Continue your regular exercise. If these simple measures don't work, you'll need to consult a doctor.

Best Answer

That makes sense thanks

Best Answer

You're welcome. :)

Best Answer

Option turn it to muscle or sweat it out eat twice a day and work out every other day run at least 20 mins or stay in motion every day 30 pounds is nothing by may you can lose more than 40 if you stay commited to a plan fast food once a week replace a meal with protein shake

Best Answer

You have no idea how much this helps thanks so much.

Best Answer

Run around town.

Best Answer

Calculate how much calories you can have each day (there are online tools for this, find a recognized website) and start putting together your own diet. You should eat a few times a day, but not much. Avoid bread, pasta and other high carbs food. Don't eat after 7pm and if you do, take a yoghurt or something. Eat fruit in the morning, not in the evening. Drink lots and lots of water. And go running - you can whatever sport you want, nothing beats running (you could also do a sweattraining if you go running). Good luck :) !!

Best Answer

stop smoking<br />
eat healthy<br />
if you are overweight then you have more calories going in than you need<br />
you know the answer already..... stop over eating<br />
don't forget to take your weight and gender into account<br />
.... 100lbs might be underweight for you.<br />
good luck, not intending to be mean.<br />
respect, from robbie

Best Answer

your not being rude thanks for the advice.

Best Answer

glad you took it that way. hope you achieve a healthy weight..... but seriously, give up the smoking... it does kill.... but really slowly. better to learn to love yourself, whatever weight you are.

Best Answer

Thanks and I gave up smoking in October of 2012. I will smoke here and there but not all the time :)

Best Answer

well done to you..... have you learned to love yourself? the good nurturing love, not the arrogant sort.

Best Answer

Talk with your doctor, pick a program, and stick with it. Get a friend or two to help out by talking with you so you don't give up along the way. This is entirely within the realm of possibility for someone your age. Good luck.

Best Answer

Portion your meals and start jogging.

Best Answer

right if your serious when you wake up in morning go for a walk not a run just a walk and do 30 sit ups and evryday eat no more then 2000 calories drink plenty of water and do cardio excersise i.e running ,bike riding 3 times a week dont do any weights and try to avoid sugary foods if you really want to do it you will and cut the smoking out it wont do you any favours when ya try running i got faith in ya pal after 2 weeks youll be fine just gotta get through them two weeks good luck

Best Answer

Thanks. You are so supportive. so after two weeks will it be like second nature?

Best Answer

well it wont be second nature exactly but it will be a whole lot easier just dont over do it add a little bit extra to your routine each week if you stick to it you will see results

Best Answer

okay thanks for your answers

Best Answer