Although we are apt to use the words "jealousy" & "envy" interchangeably, they do in fact have (subtly) different meanings: When you are "jealous" of someone, it's because you perceive a threat from them, as though they may try to take something that belongs to you; therefore, you are "jealous" of women who pay a lot of attention to your bf, as this may result in a "loss" of some kind for you; or you may be "jealous" of a co-worker whom the boss seems to favor, as this may result in the "loss" of a promotion of some kind for you. "Envy" is something we feel when we perceive that someone else has something that we do not, such as a loving family, popularity, lots of "nice stuff," whatever. BTW, I didn't think this all up myself, I read it somewhere once, & it "stuck" with me, so thought I'd share, if anyone cares to "tweak" their vocab skills a tad!
QueenIzabella QueenIzabella 56-60 7 Answers Dec 23, 2012 in Hobbies

I have interchanged those two words in the past ... with this I will now remember how to use em from here on out.

Best Answer

Oh, we all do it! When you think about it, tho, "Envy" (as opposed to "jealousy") is listed as one of the "seven deadly sins,"

Best Answer

Thanks....Although I am rarely jealous or envious I appreciate the distinction.

Best Answer

Yeah, I've always thought that jealousy is the fear of losing something you have, and envy is the desire to have something someone else has.

Best Answer

Yes! Wow, wish I could've managed to be that "succinct"!

Best Answer

Thank you, you have increased my word power.

Best Answer