Kidney stones are most always composed of calcium-oxalate, which is a combination of (dairy ba<x>sed) calcium and oxalates; oxalate is a mineral that is naturally present in such foods as spinach, beets, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, etc. Oxalate binds with calcium at the molecular level and creates renal, or kidney stones. <br />
There are three things you can do to prevent them, or at least keep them to a manageable size. First, consult a dietitian who can tell you the foods containing oxalates. As an example, in the case of broccoli, cauliflower, etc., steam them very thoroughly before eating. Steaming vegetables allows them to retain their nutritional value at the same time it reduces oxalates. Second, eat at least one good sized portion of fresh watermelon every day. Watermelon will keep the acid content in the kidneys high, preventing the formation of stones. Third, drink at least four ounces of fresh cranberry juice per day (real cranberry, not the Ocean Spray product that contains grape and pineapple juices and all kinds of stuff). Cranberry juice will keep the acid content in the bladder high so that in the event you do form stones, they will be dissolved in the bladder and you will not have the pain of passing them.

Best Answer

They can be caused by dehydration and excess calcium. Have heard that the pain is intense....passing them is compared to childbirth. Your doctor will look for blood and infection...the infection is a double wammy. I hope you get better soon.

Best Answer

My best friend gets kidney stones a lot when she eats chocolate, peanut butter, and lots of fruits, surprisingly. You might want to ask a doctor about it. But drinking plenty of water should help the process along a little.

Best Answer

Go to the doctors, go & get some pain meds. Then you get to enjoy the most painful experience of peeing them out.

Best Answer

i have done that and nothing sems to help@ i have had much pain raising a disabled child and just loosing her, many surgeries,i fell lasy wek and broke 3 ribs and gash in my head to the skull now this,,it is the worst pain,,he gave me lortab, nausea meds, pyridium and cipro,,i have had alot of back pain but his beats it all and i cannot pee..it takes me fifyen minutes at least and then it hurts and i feel like i am not emptying my urine,,just hurts so bad, thanks for your reply. i have to get off now but if you know of anything or any kind of pai meds that have helpd you please let me know..agin thanks and hope your doing ok! God bless, Mimi

Best Answer