miraclerenancer miraclerenancer 56-60, M 5 Answers Nov 8, 2012 in Parenting & Family

Are you mechanics, 'metal-beaters' or trimmers currently employed as custom car work professionals? Are you able, financially, to make a major initial and ongoing monthly investment and to work for a year or more without any appreciable profit? If your answer to ANY of these questions is NO, DON"T DO IT!!! I have been in the Automotive Parts and Service sector for 40 years, and know whereof I speak. There is little room in this trade for new businesses even at the best of times, and these are far from those times.

Best Answer

i have been a mechanic for over 30 years, and this would be my 2nd bussiness. so believe me i understand the ongoing expenses and so does he. we also both have steady full time jobs. i also understand the burdun of trying to meet those expenses on part time income from the bussiness

Best Answer

Are you or your son qualified to handle the customer service, purchasing and accounting aspects of this business, or is a third person going to be needed? Also, if you are both employed elsewhere on a full-time basis, who will do the work for the new business? You will have difficulty securing and maintaining a customer-base without giving consistent and constant attention to them, their vehicles, and their idiosyncrasies. Dealing successfully with the automotive customer requires special diplomatic skills, and at least one of you, preferably both, has considerable automotive customer service experience.

Best Answer

believe me i understand your concerns, but i have previously owned a shop that concentrated on installation and repair of aftermarket equipment. one of my main concern is the availlable vs shop expense ratio. i actually have a decent customer base still intact just continuing to work on the side. i still have options to look at

Best Answer

Contact your local SCORE office.<br />
Put together a realistic business plan, and continuously update it as conditions change, but stick with the plan.<br />
Remember the one fundamental to a successful business-no, two, no, three:<br />
1-Find a need in the marketplace and fill it.<br />
2-Work hard. make it your obsession.<br />
3-Do what you love, and you will never work a day in your life.

Best Answer

this would be my 2nd bussiness, had the other when my son was very young. He has gotten into something called street fighter style customs, and told me "dad this is exactly what you and your friends did out if the back door of your old shop". and the oppertunity to spend that much time with my son after my divorce is nice.

Best Answer

If you have the understanding and strength to do that DO IT ! =)

Best Answer

thanks steve

Best Answer

Sounds good to me. What's holding you back from doing that?

Best Answer

picking through oppertunities, but this one being with my son, well you know

Best Answer