As I've gotten older, it's becoming more and more difficult to become happy with life again. I've suffered from depression since a teenager and I have taken Paxil all my life. But it's not longer working. Nothing seems to work anymore. It's affecting my personal and work life, now.
serendip116 serendip116 36-40 12 Answers Mar 16, 2011

Paxil may be the wrong medication. It was for me. Effexor worked wonders when Paxil did nothing except make me feel medicated. I took Effexor for 9 years, and went off about 5 years ago.

I remember saying at the time I started Effexor that there had been a party going on all this time and I never knew!

People who have not been depressed will not understand the pain - the physical pain - of being depressed.

Best Answer

depression is serious, be treated for it, and then as yourunpleas was saying -- give of yourself to someone else in need, it really is better to give than receive makes you feel good inside

Best Answer

Depression is something very very real,I know it all too well however i HAVE recovered after 5 long years .

Best Answer

What helped you recover?

Best Answer

It's an ongoing battle for me. As soon as I realize that I feel depressed I do something that will make me feel slightly better. For me I get lonely, which makes me depressed. That's when I go out and do something that will make me feel better - ride my bike, go for a walk, go to a cafe (to be around people), treat myself and go out to dinner. And if feel very tired I lie die and rest, or sit outside.

Best Answer

over and over and over again. its hard work every time over and over and it never lasts. slip quietly away. i think i will watch and just get quieter and quieter and quieter. if i can be still enough i won't feel. once you get passed still feeling it is better there is nothing.

Best Answer

Paxil covers only one of the chemicals effected in your brain. Sometimes you need the ones that cover both chemicals in the brain. And sometimes you simply need a stronger dose. Go see your doc! You could be feeling better within the next week or two. I take Cymbalta and it works wonders for me. I too am one of those with the disease of depression that must be medically treated. I cannot stop taking the meds without gradually getting worse. I have also had to change my meds til I found the best one for me. some work but aren't quite right. some work but have icky side effects. I check in with my Doc every 6 months to make sure I'm doing good. and Cymbalta seems to be my happy pill. ;)

I feel sorry for mzdivine.

Best Answer

Decision to change and "spring clean"your life is the first step.Happiness is an inside job.

Best Answer

HAH!...Get on with your life!...At 58,..I suffer every day!

What else would you be doing if you weren't alive?

Get out and make a point of meeting 3 new people a day!

Best Answer

I find what brings me up the most is helping or doing good things for other people. I didn't realize how many people that I knew considered friends, relatives, neighbors that were suffering from being sick, surgery, loss (death), lonliness and I would buy them food or cook or bake for them and bring over and my act of kindness brings them sooo much joy and I really don't know if they would have cared if it had been ramen noodle, hot dog hotdish it's the thought. I find it's the #1 thing that I can do to bring me up is to help others... good luck!

Best Answer

Take care when choosing your role models. Perfection is simply impossible. In fact, at any given moment 50% of the population are below average. So forgive yourself and remember the things you have and can do. The glass CAN be half full. Simply by being in a developed country, with enough resources to get on line and have food and shelter you are already in the top 15%. Consider that.

Best Answer

Maybe see happiness as a gift... try to enjoy it when it happens but understand that it will never be perpetual? Not really sure what else to say here... hope it helps :(

Best Answer

I'll think about that ..thanks.

Best Answer