wow. i remember that rule, follwed by, "except blah blah blah blah like neighbor and weigh" but I didnt realize there were over 900 crazy english words that broke that rule. english is crazy!

Best Answer

In fact there are about 20 times the number of words that break the rule than conform to it.

Best Answer

Wow, I knew there were a lot, but not how many. No wonder people who are trying to learn ESL, have so much trouble with the spelling. Is there another language with so many contradictions? Thank you for this interesting piece of information. I was going to say trivia; but really, it isn't trivial, is it?

Best Answer

Many languages have rules that aren't completely fool proof. Whether they have made a rule as useless as this one is another matter entirely. In fact it's so useless it's no longer taught in schools

Best Answer

You need to add "when the sound is like 'ee' " after the i before e. Then you'll find that most of these exceptions will disappear from the list. eg 'Reign' sounds like 'rain' not 'reen'.

Best Answer

Consider that English English was built upon Latin and Greek (and goodness knows what other languages that came after) and then it makes a bit of sense of the nonesense; I know, not a great or full explanttion, but that's a *part* of the reason<br />
~F~

Best Answer

Ice ice maybe..

Best Answer

Yes I remember being taught that, now if I could just remember it.

Best Answer

no need, it's no good haha

Best Answer

;o)

Best Answer