I've tried explaining before but without the diagnosis I'm waiting for they still pile it all on me and expect me to handle it. Getting told I shouldn't be there (6th form) if I don't like it but atm I have no other choice. Scared that if I keep struggling with work and trying to tell them this they'll think I'm just lazy. (Is this the right category?)
NerdyOtaku NerdyOtaku 18-21, F 12 Answers Nov 27, 2012 in Education

Speak to your counselor and have them deal with the teachers. Don't give up. All of us learn things differently. It just doesn't show on the outside.

Best Answer

Most teachers are familiar with Aspergers. I'd suggest talking to them one on one and explaining what you're experiencing. A good teacher will be understanding and want to help.

Best Answer

Most of them are understanding but with it being A Levels they can't just let me off doing work, so they keep wanting me to push through the pile of work and go to one on one sessions with them. I'd be 100% happy with that if not for my anxiety talking to them.

Best Answer

I know what you mean. Like every though you know that you have to get your work done, you read one page and you start getting sleepy or spacing out. It's hard to deal with. You just have to find your method to keep you interested. Like I draw a little picture every time I start feeling tired. It helps me to stay focused, by not focusing completely.

Best Answer

Getting sleepy! Funny you mentioned that, in one of my English classes despite desperately trying to work hard in it I keep falling asleep in that room, I don't know why D: I get decent sleep, it happens a little in other classes too.

Best Answer

If you have Microsoft work on your computer, do a one not for every teacher and if you have 6 teachers print 6 copies and give one to everyone.

Dear Professor Dullness,

I am writing to inform you that I have been tested for Asbergers disease. My family and I are waiting for the diagnosis at this moment.

You may have noticed that I have trouble focusing and completing assignments, and that is why. I'd like to ask for your forbearance during this time, and your assistance in any way you can. I do appreciate it.

Sincerely....

Best Answer

Wow, I'm surprised to find someone with a similar situation.

I'm waiting for a diagnosis for Aspergers, and I'm finding it very hard to do my school work. Very difficult to manage with PTSD as well.

Here's a suggestion for you, NerdyOtaku. Take regular breaks when it gets too tough, amybe find someone to talk to with similar problems.

Best Answer

I'm glad to find someone in the same situation! This should have been sorted in January because I had a breakdown last December, eventually had to really bite the bullet and call them myself! It wasn't even aspergers they thought of first, I went from having suspected depression, to bipolar, to just anxiety, then to mild autism. I only got this close to help by having to put myself through hell talking to strangers about really personal stuff!

Best Answer

*Nods* I see! I for one find it easier to talk to strangers about personal stuff over the internet. Well, I get to know them a little first.
It was quite hard talking to a cousellor at first, too, but I find when I get going it's pretty easy!

Best Answer

I understand ur problem..Find out what interests you..sports or music or drama or science or maths or medicine or management..Try to speak within urself and decide wat u want to become. Academic is not just boring but interesting if you really fix a goal. Have a planner to write and try to see yourself wat u r gonna become after 2 years, 5 years and 10 years. ANd plan wat u r going to do to reach that place. This will really motivate u and help u to be more confident. Again try to hang out with friends who are really ambitious!

Best Answer

Thank you for the advice. I already know what I want to be and have a plan, just my biggest obstacle right now is finishing A Levels and getting into uni. They want quite a few UCAS points meaning I have to get the best grades I can manage and hope they let me in. Right now I'm struggling in two subjects, English and ICT, because Media got in the way with a massive project and I almost had a meltdown

Best Answer

I am sorry for the stuggle. Many of us have mental/emotional challenges. I was unable to finish my HS due to depression, however as an adult, I graduated with Honors :)!

Regarding you dear, how about having a meetig with you and your parents and the teachers even the principal of the school?

Surely the school staff will trust in the word of your parents if they are dubious about your claims.

Is that a reasonable possibility?

My second suggestion was nullified as i read your details, I was going to say just present the DR's report and that should mollify them.

Best of luck to you.

Remember you can do what you set your sights on!

*hugs*

Best Answer

So finding school work boring is a illness now?

Best Answer

Let me rephrase... So if someone can't focus on things they find boring, they may well have a condition known as aspergers? I think I've got it too

Best Answer

And where was I judgemental?

Best Answer

She already thought she had Aspergers. It was a seperate thing, however worrying about it seems to be affecting her studying. She doesn't think that just because she finds work boring it affects her studying.

Best Answer

I mean. Just becaus she finds work boring it means she has aspergers. Silly me.

Best Answer