I'm in NJROTC and I'm a team commander. Honestly, I KNOW I'm not ready to command a team of nearly twenty people, but there's no one else to command it :/ It's not that I don't want to do it, but I would've liked a transitions of some kind into the position. Usually, the commander trains the next person before they graduate, but the last commander left me high and dry. Last year, we did better than we ever did. 2 trophies, 1st and regulation and inspection, and we were SO close to going to State!That's never happened before. I don't want to fall off of that streak due to my poor leadership skills. I want this for my team, but I also want it for myself because I know that a lot of people think that I can't do it. So.. how do I do it? (lol) How do I become more effective as a leader and get my team to take me seriously while still making our practices fun... but still productive?
SourlySweet SourlySweet 16-17, F 8 Answers Oct 19, 2012 in Dating & Relationships

Trust yourself..

Best Answer

Encourage people. Let them know you believe in them. Make them feel good about themselves, yet gently persuade them that they can keep doing better. Be confident and assertive. Don't be mean or rude but don't let people walk all over you. Make it exciting and interesting. Be humble, not like you are above them but that you are at their level and you are working together to achieve a common goal. Don't be impersonal- get to know people so they feel important. Learn as much as you can about the skills you need to know and be willing to put in extra time and effort to learn and help others.

Best Answer

That's exactly the kind of leader I'm aspiring to be, our other commanders were total ******* (ahem) and we didn't respect them, nor did we have any loyalty to them...
Thank you!! :)

Best Answer

While the ability to command is tied to a leader's general competence—the leader's ability to make correct decisions based on a given situation the concepts on which leadership is built, such as courage, intelligence, experience, discipline and decisiveness, among a score of other virtues combine to produce an idea of what leadership is, and how it may be achieved. I would go on the internet and look up NJROTC leadership principles, or other words which might apply. Another book that might help you is a book by Stephen Covey called "The Seven Basic Habits of Highly Effective People" that helped me lead a large sales force consisting of over 1500 people. Good luck.

Best Answer

Be posiitve. Don't take "no I can't" for an answer. Be humble. Ask Questions. Learn from your mistakes. Realize that you can accomplish whatever you allow yourself to do.

Best Answer

Try to learn every ones name. Be nice but don't bend rules or it will become expected from you. If you have to, yell just not too often or they will get used to it. Don't get so distanced from your team joke with them but don't gossip with them. Relax there is a reason you were picked for your job. For example people like you and you have skills that define you from the rest. You wouldn't have the job if they didn't think you could do it. I am the novice captain for my debate team so I know how you feel. Be a BAMF and win those trophies.

Best Answer

Haha, thanks! :) And I love your username, now I have the song stuck in my head

Best Answer

Someone must have appointed you team commander for a reason. Did you volunteer for it? I say if you know what you are doing and the others look up to you, you should have no problem. Have you been paying attention to how your former commander handled things? If you're still not sure, seek advice from other team captains or commanders or even coaches. Does your team have a committee? Seek advice and encouragement from them. If you learn how to lead now, it will help you in your future endeavors good luck. :)

Best Answer

Well I was supposed to be second in command, and get the team my Senior year, but something happened with the commander that was originally appointed and so... here I am now.
I think it would be easier if I didn't have the Regimental Commander (Commander of EVERY cadet in the program) on my team, it's weird telling her what to do.. and yet, she's my biggest problem on the team. I also have the XO (2nd in charge next to the Regimental Commander.)

Best Answer

So you are under her, but in charge of her at the same time? I'm just trying to understand. You might see her as a problem but she may also be your greatest asset. If she is regimental commander, who better to learn from? She might be causing you problems intentionally so you will learn to lead better. I think she believes in you. Play it out for as long as you need to and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Know that she is also helping you, by not making it easy for you. Respect her for that even if you have to do it through clenched teeth. :)

Best Answer

Exactly... and ohhh you don't know here, she's only out for herself and she doesn't like me as commander. But I'll use it all as a learning experience and motivation to do better anyway, thanks for the advice :)

Best Answer

Its Myth to understand Commander as a Leader. Two very different roles. Since Commander is in contact and constantly shouts or orders, the group tends to assume Commander as a Leader, but need not be.

A Commander passes commands from the Leader and executes the order of a Leader. But a Leader is someone who leads. The brain of the group.

Reason why a group of people are also known as body. So that body requires all parts of an individual body. So they appoint a speaker, a brain, an armY etc.

So the first job as a Leader, is to appoint a Commander. Find someone in the team or Make one. A leader is a calm and composed person and an Intense thinker, who plans a strategy, execution and also documents it.

The Commander then inspires the team with the idea / strategy given by the leader. Often Commanders try to Rape their way into the team, and make the team conceive in an aggressive manner. Instead get your commander to make love and inspire the team.

But with computers and internet, you can get your team on to emails / EP and plan with meetings on internet.

Best Answer

My Instructor is trying to make me into a Leader with all the strategizing, executions, and documentations, but I'm not doing too good at commanding or leading -_- And you lost me with the raping into the team and?

Best Answer

Now where did the instructor come from.. anywayz you can use him as your mentor. There is always a first time to everything. Are you good in strategy ? Then take up the leadership, and find another as commander. So you have a Management team.
The team needs instructions to work in cohesion. All parts will work only if the instructions & strategy are clear, so they are in synch. If not every thing will go wrong. Driving the instruction into the minds in a harsh manner is raping. But with exchange of thoughts with the team, it becomes an intercourse which develops into a common understanding.

Best Answer