I've been like this for 11 years, just randomly wanting to cry, when i try to tell people they all tell me i'm being stupid or a wuss and need to man up. It's also ruining my social life as i have no confidence in myself, I haven't got many close friends and I've even moved cities to get away from the ******** that bullied me. I just want advice on what I can do to give me a more positive outlook on life, preferably from people who have had or are going through anxiety and depression issues.
BloodrayneMonster BloodrayneMonster 22-25, M 11 Answers May 13, 2012

I assume you are a male and it sounds to me that you have depression. Those people who tell you to man up didn't understand what you're going through. 11 years is a long time and it'll get worse so please, please see your doctor. You can choose to go on anti depressants tablets and if you do, get counselling to sort out bullrings (I'e been through it, not having counselling while on tablets is a bit messy). Surround yourself with good understanding people and keep going to work/college/work experience or if you do reg sport, keep going . It's gonna be a struggle but doing those things will keep your mind off problems if only for a while. There's support group you can go to as well.

Bullies does sometimes have an impact on one's life and can cause depression. Don't let them win. (Talking from experience).

Wishing you the best.

Best Answer

I am male and i have spoken to my doctor and I have a another counselling session on Wednesday but he's currently only helping me with panic attack control, i'm also taking beta blockers, i have maybe one friend who truly cares about me, and i have had to turn work offers down because of my these issues

Best Answer

Beta blockers? What about tweaking your seratonin levels with SSRIs?
Because of your age, therapy will be mandatory with SSRI use. And, there is habituation with age, so it is necessary to work on a long-term exit from their use. And, the sexual side effects are not good.

Best Answer

Beta Blockers(i was told they were called this) slow the heart rate and also act as a muscle relaxant and mild sedative, and i dont like the idea of SSRIs due to the side effects

Best Answer

Glad for you. I am still waiting for my counselling!! Sorry to hear about your heart condition. it's a shame you couldn't work those jobs. Next time an offer of a job is on your plate, meet them halfway but take the job. Is that poss?

Best Answer

the heart condition is palpitations and is extremely annoying, and i try to look for jobs that wouldn't stress me out too much, there's alot of people out there who don't understand anxiety and depression nor do they recognize it as a mental illness, they think that cos i appear fine on the outside that i'm fine on the inside but tbh thats far from the truth

Best Answer

Ah, that's good that you seen your doc and having counselling. Getting a job will help you out mentally, it'd keep you busy and keep your problems off your mind for a few hours and upgrade your self esteem but I do understand that you turned down jobs because you may not feel up to it. It's hard snuff getting out of bed. Hope things work out well for you.

Best Answer

i do struggle to get outta bed, to me its like a chore, my best friend helps me out both mentally and physically, shes like my personal assistant, she understands when i need time alone n shes there as a shoulder to cry on, Lady Gaga's music seems to have a therapeutic effect on me too idk why, maybe its because i can relate to the lyrics.

Best Answer

Now I understand. Can't take a job that is stressful for you and you are so right, people think oh this person is happy so she/he can't be depressed. What they don't know is that some of them hide their true emotions well, like me. I gets depressed at times but don't always show it cuz I don't want people to dump me either so I try not to moan and enjoy myself while I can like chatting at a cafe/mcdonalds or shopping for a while. I never go to parties.

Best Answer

yeah, getting out of bed can be a chore. I felt that too. Getting out of bed was ok but the thought of having a bath and getting change can be too much but I force myself to go cuz I like to feel clean. You're lucky you have a great friend . I don't have that. If one find out, I gets dumped. Lol about Lady Gaga's effects on you! lol Don't worry....I am not laughing at you, just thinking that Lady Gaga's different. Mine is Alicia Keys. Everyone gel with different singers for good reasons. I understand Jessie J's songs and one of my fav is Who You Are and Katy Perry's Fireworks. Like any other songs or...?

Best Answer

if i go to parties or nights out i have to drink the strongest alcoholic drink i can legally buy, its the only way i can forget things and have a fun time, now obviously i cant drink liquor everyday otherwise it can lead to health issues and i am aware that it is a depressant but it is also a stimulant, memory suppressant and muscle relaxant, and people that dump u are not ur true friends, i like Lady Gaga, Jessie J, Katy Perry, Porcelain Black, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Cradle of Filth, HIM(HER), Avenged Sevenfold, Papa Roach, Italobrothers, Basshunter, Aqua. the list goes on and on

Best Answer

Anxiety and depression is so so so difficult. I lived in it for many years in my past. I'm much better now though. The turning point for me was being born again - finding Jesus. I became indwelled with the Holy Spirit and it was the beginning of a huge change in me that God continues to make and develop in me. I was 35 when I found Jesus. It would have been very helpful if I had known him earlier in my life - so the sooner, the better. If you need guidance, just google something like "What does it mean to be born again?" or you can write me. God bless!

Best Answer

My brother is just like you. He describes it as something just swells up inside of him and he can't control he is crying. He has high anxiety and depression. He is also in his early 40's. I'm happy you are getting help, most men are so stubborn, like my brother, they don't want to get help and stay in denial they need help. God be with you and I wish you to find a good doctor, make sure it is a psychiatrist not a family doctor when it comes to medicine.

Best Answer

call a mental health provider where you live, you need to get qualified help to deal with the issues that are causing your symptoms. It's the only way to get free of the demon that is ruining our life.

Best Answer

Something's bottled up there I think, but who am I to say?

Best Answer

Get yourself a full spectrum lamp and use it as your primary light source when at home. Other than that improve your diet, exercise more, and get plenty of sleep.

Best Answer

i wouldnt even know what one is or where to get one, the only way for me to get any fruit is smoothies and i dont even like veggies, sleeping is also another of my many issues

Best Answer

You wuss.... no just kidding.......no seriously dude try not to take life so seriously. Always remember that 100 yrs from now none of this is going to matter. Learn to laugh and make others laugh as well. Be a fun person that people like to be around. Be the kind of person that someone goes to in order to bring them up instead of bring them down. This will in turn change your self esteem.

Best Answer

Oh yeah....this also makes it easier to be around others

Best Answer

It sounds serious if you moved cities...but by the sounds of it you need professional help you cant let this problem ruin your life, theres people out there to help

Best Answer

Watch Hard Candy.

Best Answer

cry.. and let it all out.

Best Answer

I now understand what you are talking about. The answers these people are giving are missing the mark. I share your feeling about wanting to cry all the time and it has little if anything to do with depression. I have a great job, a terrific wife, lots of money in the bank, and good health. I suspect my bio rhythms or hormone levels are screwed up. The local Doc says things are fine for a 70 year old man so he blows me off. Increasingly, I am toying with testosterone therapy but it aggravates prostate cancer and who wants that! If you figure out what the answer is, let me know. God I love being old.

Best Answer