It was diagnosed 8 months ago and had grown the size of a softball. It was an option to have his leg amputated but I was scared he was too heavy and didnt like reading that after amputation and chemo that some dogs only live another 6 months to a year. Now that he is gone I am feeling that maybe I should have tried the agressive approach. His tumor was getting so big that I was scared it was going to open and cause his leg to break. He was a 11 yr old Black Lab and he was my best friend. The finality of it breaks my heart.
maverick2112 maverick2112 46-50, M 21 Answers Dec 8, 2009

This is exactly what I am going through. I had a yellow lab that was my search and rescue working dog for 9years. I had to put her down in September. I still feel so guilty and alone. She had sudden onset diabetes and went blind in four days. Then she had a stroke. She just wasn't herself anymore. I am still so sad.

Best Answer

I am a dog lover like yourself and i have to put my pet alsation to sleep as he was paralized from his back onwards.I know it hurts but dont blame yourself.You did what is right by ending his sufferings and yours.I have my jack russell now.

Best Answer

:( yes, losing a pet can be very hard, especially because they seem so perfect. take your time to mourn and try to move on, you didn't do anything wrong.

Best Answer

I have 5 dogs. They love me in different ways. And, I love them in different ways. My Male Jack Russell has had 2 strokes in the past 3 months. He is a real Sweet Heart. It will bother me very much if he dies.

One of my Commondor's ripped out his leg tendon when he jumped a fence. I was not able to put him down, so I made his life very easy while I was trying to make a decision. One year later, his leg healed and he is doing fine.

Each dog is different, but when they get ill or hurt, it tears my heart out.

If they were in Pain, would be easier to make a decision, as I know it is cruel to make them suffer in pain, if there is no hope for them to heal.

I have a neighbor with a dog that has Cancer in the Jaw. She is close to the end stage and is in pain a lot of the time. My neighbor is very troubled, but he is prepared to make the decision when it's time.

It's like loosing a child. And, when you have to put them down due to pain, that will never get better, that Hurts.

I know what you are feeling.

Best Answer

What's done is done.

You did your best, don't be hard on yourself.

Best Answer

This is such a painful choice to have to make. It may be that keeping him alive minus a leg would have been more for you than for him. Less selfish to not put him through that. It's enough to mourn the loss of your beloved dog without torturing yourself about the decision. It seems like you knew your dog and didn't want him to suffer.

Best Answer

I hate to add to the guilt, but in the future if your pet gets cancer, you need to put them on a water fast immediately. Their body will consume the tumor for energy once they've gone through their fat reserves. Actually I would recommend fasting ANY pet regularly, at least twice a year. Their bodies need that rest time to clean toxins, dead cells, and tumors out.

How long you fast them depends on their body size and how overweight they are, but the smaller the animal the shorter the fast should be since they have a much higher metabolism than we do. For a mouse fasting for a day is approximately equal to a human fasting for a month.

Best Answer

I'm so sorry for the loss of your dog. I know how heartbreaking losing a pet is. Please, don't feel guilty for having him put to sleep. That's the kindest thing a human can do for an animal companion in this situation. Usually, surgery is a much bigger deal for an older animal: there are more risks, the animal takes longer to heal, and there's frequently some real pain involved. And if you had gone for the surgery and he only had another six months to live, with a much-impaired quality of life, you both would have been terribly unhappy. I had a cat once who had two surgeries very close to each other and had to be put to sleep three days later: it took us almost two years to pay off the vet bills for those two failed surgeries. Money was tight, but that wasn't what really bothered us--it was that every month we had to relive his last days yet once again, and know that he died suffering once again. It was awful.

You spared your beloved dog all this. The best thing one can do for a beloved companion you did for him: allowed him to die with dignity, knowing you loved him til the very end. The fact that you chose to prevent his suffering is the greatest gift you ever could have given him.

God bless you.

Best Answer

Hi maverick2112

one of the duties of a pet owner is to put the pet first. That;s the deal. You did your part.

:)

Best Answer

We all know these situations may confront us with our beloved pets, but hope they never do.

I commend you for your faithful friendship to your dog. You have a lot of love to give to others, and after all, you would never regret the great times you had together. Try not to let the grief overcome the goodness.

You will love again...:)

Best Answer

Try and remember him as a beloved pet that you had for 11 yrs not the suffering pet that you could not save.

Our pets are our children and they love us unconditionally,

in time you will realize that you did the right thing for him and stopped his suffering.

Sorry for your loss.

Best Answer

think about it like this, your dog would not survive in teh wild if he were a wild animal with teh same problem, it is probably uncomfortable, having him put down is the most merciful thing to do. That doesn't make it any easier, but it's teh best thing you can do.

Best Answer

i agree with Fourandahalfdays. i'm really sorry for your loss, too.

Best Answer

I'm sorry. I know it's hard. (tears welling up in my eyes right now)

Best Answer

It is difficult to know what to do and then once it is done the woulda shoulda coulda come to visit. I am sorry for the loss of your dog. You probably alleviated future suffering. Take comfort in that.

Best Answer

Eleven is an average lifespan for a purebred.

Best Answer