I frequently suffer from Hypnagogia: half sleep, half awake. It is usually a nightmarish experience, frightful and annoying. I feel helpless, paralyzed, afraid and see upsetting dreams. It’s annoying and affecting my sleeping and consequently affecting my performance during my day. Any idea how to stop this disorder or even make it happen less?
Rash86 Rash86 26-30, F 3 Answers Jan 9 in Health

I can't imagine how difficult it may be. Perhaps there is some study you can partake in to help them understand it better. Sometimes, these studies are offered for free. Check with your doctor/neurologist for these sleep studies in your area.

Best Answer

Thank you so much Ben for the reply.

Best Answer

i don't much about them, but i know what you're talking about - what kind of dreams to you have when you're so paralysed? are they lucid dreams?

Best Answer

frightful stories and events with people I know in real life. Sometimes half awake and looking at my room seeing it different room or feeling afraid of strange creatures hiding in strange places in my strange room. Things I cannot stop or run from...many events I cannot describe. But I always wake up shocked and very upset.

Best Answer

it sounds awful - do they feel more like dreams or hallucinations? - do you feel more awake or asleep?

Best Answer

I think they are dreams because they have serial events with actual people. But sometimes they are hallucinations. I hallucinate and then wakeup paralyzed. Then go back to the hallucinations helplessly. The last night was horrible. I think I spent two hours in this situation before falling into proper sleep.

Best Answer

two hours helpless watching a parade of horrible phantasms?

Best Answer

it makes me shudder to imagine it, but i am so obsessed by mind and mental health it makes *me* ill

Best Answer

are you getting treatment?

Best Answer

No because I did not take it seriously before. But last night was so awful and I am having an exam tomorrow and all this day I am not focusing on study and feeling asleep all the time. So I thought this is a serious issue to watch out for.

Best Answer

Do you have any advanced information about this issue?

Best Answer

Exactly.

I checked my watch when I first started to fall asleep. Then I checked it after I completely woke up from this situation. It was two hours exactly.

Best Answer

wow

Best Answer

well, i think you probably have to assume that they are at least in part, a manifestation of your anxiety - but you should visit a doctor - i mean, you'd diagnosed yourself in the question

Best Answer

So its not something common? I should start to worry about it seriously now?

Best Answer

well, they are a special category of nightmare, not technically a "normal" one

Best Answer

i suspect there is a meaning in the symbols that torment you themselves, but i have zero little experience with this condition - i've only read about it

Best Answer

i thought you were already worried

Best Answer

now I am extra worried

Best Answer

I would like to know more behind this issue

Best Answer

well make a plan of action for how to deal with it, starting with medical consultation

Best Answer

it depends where you live, i guess, and how

Best Answer

and google it

Best Answer

go to the doctors? do you know what the cause is?

Best Answer

I have no idea which doctor I can go to. And I don't know what cause them.

Best Answer

a GP doctor, he can help you find a specialist doctor if need be. It sounds awful, so i would definitely see a doctor if i was you.

Best Answer

Thanks! I will try to.

Best Answer