Some of the cruelest, pettiest people I've ever encountered claim to be pious---when it suits them, or when they're judging someone else's behaviour.
bijouxbroussard bijouxbroussard 46-50, F 15 Answers Mar 3 in Community

I encountered someone like this here the other day. They were so unpleasant, judgemental. I suspected they were "Christian" and sure enough, saw on their EP Home Page their EP Group, "I am a Christian". Unfortunately for some the idea of being "saved" means being above everyone; although Christianity is meant to be about love and kindness, some "Christians" didn't get the memo! :)

Best Answer

Yep. They also can be deviants-- in the name of God. And expect other people to do things for them-- in the name of Jesus.

Best Answer

some people are just very self righteous in their beliefs; and religious people who claim they love God, but have total distain for their fellow brothers and sisters in life, are nothing more than falsified liars.

Best Answer

I think a lot of Christianity is a balancing act. You have the lovey-dovey Christians who wanna hold hands and sing and unite the world in peace who are reading mostly out of the new testament and then you have the guys who wanna stone gays and keep women subservient and think war is just awesome and god will bless us while we conquer other nations. And they tend to favour the old testament.<br />
To me, and not only to me, it is a balancing act between the old and new testament. Because those two books are radically different.

Best Answer

Small mindedness loves someone to do their thinking for them. Then they can feel superior without having to work hard.

Best Answer

I suspect that many people become religious because the want to get a leg up on everyone else.<br />
I have always thought it was the height of arrogance for a religion to proclaim itself God's chosen people, as the Jews do, or for a religion to proclaim that there is no God but our version of God, which the Muslims claim. Or for a religion to proclaim that if you are rich it's proof that God loves you more than poor people, which is the essence of Calvinism. <br />
Pandering to arrogance and cloaking this in a garb of pious self righteousness seems pretty normal for religions across the board, and may be what drives the persistence of this obviously phony belief in an all mighty imaginary friend?

Best Answer

Jesus wept.

Best Answer

They usually are a bunch of hypocrites who hide behind their "holy" book and creed to justify the hate and intolerance they feel towards other people.

Best Answer

They think their beliefs make them better than everyone else

Best Answer

I think there has to be something in the holy book itself that justifies the behavior. Perhaps some of them take the part where it calls all non-Christians deceivers and antichrists literally. If one thinks that everyone who doesn't think like yourself is evil and worthy of endless punishment then that doesn't leave much room for kindness but leaves lots of room for a certain cruelty.

Best Answer

Some hide behind the "religion" and feel just stepping inside their church makes them better somehow. That arrogance enables them to justify a lot of bad behavior.

Best Answer

they are judgemental....not believers of the holy trinity...and its ways...

Best Answer

I don't know. This is why I never claim to be Christian. I act the way I want others to act toward me. Hell is just as hot for Christians as it is for the rest of us XD

Best Answer