My father has the same issue He has been on medication for two decades but it hasn't helped him.
fallenazazel fallenazazel 18-21, F 22 Answers Jan 17, 2013 in Bipolar Disorder

Yes it will help,this condition needs to be monitored,it will not improve on its own,it is a chemical imbalance in the brain that needs to be rectified so you can get on with your life and plans.Has your father had his medications reviewed in the last two decades? May be he needs to change his doctor or psychiatrist.

Best Answer

Yes, medication will help. it takes some time (about a year) to set the right dosage, you need to meet your pdoc regularly.<br />
I am Bipolar type I and am on medication for over 10 years.<br />
You are special and a little different from others, in terms of how sensitive you will be in situations.<br />
Take care!<br />
¥RD

Best Answer

I dont want to depend on medicines. I am doing fine without them. :)

Best Answer

There are many medications to treat it. everyone is different so the various meds will help some and not others

Best Answer

It's a dangerous thing to advise anyone on medication, period.<br />
I have been bipolar, it was situational. When I finally left the situation, the bipolar was gone as well and now I haven't had meds in a while and am doing fine.<br />
Mental health is just scary, trying to figure what makes you feel as though you're bipolar and why is a start.

Best Answer

It might, and it might not. You may have to go through several medications to find some that help. We have to consider possible side effects. Various other factors to consider, such as cost depending on where you live. You may decide that medications don't help you. In my case (bipolar type 1) medications help very much and I feel lucky about that. I hope your doctor recommends other help such as finding coping methods that work for you. You need to be prepared to fight this battle effectively. Good luck.

Best Answer

It took me years and years to get the right combination of meds, but then after about a little over a month of adjustment, the difference was like night and day. My medication virtually saved my life. BUT, if you can can actually control it naturally, you're much better off. If I personally quit my medication, after about a month, I border on psychotic, but I imagine mild cases of bipolar can be treated holistically.

Best Answer

Definitey, but only if they are to find the right combination of meds, which could take quite some time. The one thing you MUST NOT DO is. . . give up hope.

Best Answer

I used to know a woman who had this, and when she actually took her meds she was really cool, but off them, she tended to go nuts, would start fights for no apparent reason. I guess the meds though would really depend on the person and the degree of the disorder.

Best Answer

I see

Best Answer

If it doesnt work, you can always try more natural approaches.

Best Answer

Like what?

Best Answer

Might have to see if you have any holistic practitioners in your city or town

Best Answer

before you do...check this page out : http://www.ssristories.com/index.php?p=school<br />
copy and paste

Best Answer

IKR? But the money is in the Treatment...not the cure so..

Best Answer

No...the important thing to remember is that in a commercial for these meds they spend 15 seconds telling you about the good things......then it takes them 90 seconds of speed talking to tell you about the side effects...some of which are death!!

Best Answer

It might - you and your dad are different people, what doesn't work for him may work for you. <br />
BTW, meditation may very well do the trick too :)

Best Answer

It can help, but you need to do CBT also if you want your best odds

Best Answer

well if you're happy the way you are, then u don't nned it

Best Answer

There are a lot ob people on here that are. Search for bipolar in the search box and I'm sure you'll see some groups.

Best Answer

Give it a whirl; What have you got to lose?

Best Answer

My father is bipolar, & I am worried I may one day aquire it. How did you know you needed help?

Best Answer

Mood swings and depression

Best Answer

when you are deppressed do you like to isolate yourself?

Best Answer

people who have had a lot of stress and unhapiness growing up in an abusive background could certainly develop depression and mood swings.Have you tried counselling?

Best Answer