she was sick - but how long did she have left - how much time did i take from her - i miss her so much - i feel like i let her down and i feel like i robbed her of time she had left - i can't stop crying i miss her so much - i loved her to bits - she was my only constant for thirteen years - and now she's gone - deep down the reasons were right - why do i feel so guilty - like i let someone kill her
tilly10 tilly10 36-40, F 17 Answers Nov 21, 2009

oh my god this is so sad im really sorry..but dont feel guilty she must of been in alot of pain without you even knowing how bad also..and she had no idea ethier so she would not have been scared or known any difference..im sure her going peacefully like slowy falling to sleep is much better then the death she would of eventually suffered?you did not kill her you are just grieving..big hugs xx

Best Answer

I am really sorry for your loss. I had to have my dachshund that was 5 put down 2 months ago and I feel the same way you do. I cry every Friday because that was the day he got hurt then I had to put him down the next Friday. It is horrible. I think the same things..what if he could have gotten better, did I rob him of life, it is just horrible. I cry all the time but mainly on the weekends and then when I don't cry I feel guilty that life just goes on when something I loved so much is gone. My other dogs just don't seem to mean that much to me anymore. I hope things get better for your but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone when with your feelings of guilt and not knowing if you did the right thing or not.

Best Answer

Thank you for sharing. I had to put my beautiful dachshund to sleep yesterday and I am feeling everything that you posted. I am crushed by the weight of my grief.

Best Answer

i dont know the answer 2 yr question as it is my question also. i put my dog 2 sleep on fri 20th nov. he was old an sick. but now i feel so guilty. feel like ive murdered him. keep askin myself 'was he realy that sick?, what if he could of gt better?' he was my best friend for 14 yrs. so much has happend in my life over them yrs an he was my 1 constant joy. he never let me down. the pain i fell is so immense. i cant stop cryin. wish i could b with him now.

Best Answer

I'm so sorry about your beautiful friend. Having had many animals put to sleep, I know how hard it is to say goodbye after sharing your lives for so long. I also know about the guilt that comes with making the decision to end a life. Please don't blame yourself, and don't feel guilty over your decision. She trusted you to keep her safe and protect her from harm, which is what you did by making the decision to help her leave this world with dignity, knowing she was loved and treasured until the very end. The last things she was aware of were your touch and your precious voice--and what a wonderful way to leave this world!

I wish all companion animals had people like you, who would end their suffering while they were still able to function and be happy. And don't feel bad about grieving for her for an extended period. You've lost a very important part of your life, one that can't ever be replaced. Cherish your memories and take good care of yourself. Every animal should be fortunate enough to have a person grieve so profoundly over their death.

Don't second-guess yourself. You did the right thing. If there's anything I can do (that includes being a shoulder to cry on, or an ear to listen, or whatever you need) please PM me.

Best Answer

we had to put our beautiful boy down after 14.5 years. He had a stroke and the vet advised us it would be kinder. We were worried that if we were all at work he may have had another stroke and been left paralysed laying exposed to the elements.

I stood in front of him as the vet injected him and patted his beautiful face, kissing him and telling him I loved him as he left us. Just keying this in is making my eyes teary. We did the right thing, no more suffering and he went out knowing he was loved.

Wish it was that easy for humans.

We had 2 dogs and when he was gone I said we are a one dog family from now on. Then I accidentally came across a give away dog a month later and knew he was the one we needed to get. Cost us lots of money even though he was a give away as he needed vaccinations, micro-chipping and desexing. He hasn't replaced our beautiful friend but he helped fill an empty space in our hearts.

Best Answer

We just had to put our doberman Roxy down a couple hours ago. Our family is/was so in love with her.

She was only 3.5yrs and had a rough go of it with her health for some time -- undiagnosed hypothyroidism, hair loss, skin infections and most recently an unknown digestive problem which kept her from eating or drinking for some time. She has been in and out of the hospital for a few days and took a turn for the worse today -- distress/shock seemed to come on suddenly toward the end, and the prognoses was bleak. 4 vets at the hospital said that euthanizing her was the humane option since she was unlikely to survive a $7,500 exploratory surgery. We agreed to it tonight when they showed us her xrays and talked with us for an hour in person.

We all held her while she was injected and for many minutes after she took her last breath -- I know she felt our presence, but I feel like I let her down.

I too am feeling the guilt. Ever since I got home, all I am doing is writing down my feelings and now researching what could have killed her (I have been on the internet for weeks trying to help the doctors get her better) in what should have been the prime years of her life.

I can't sleep, keep crying and the guilt is already eating me up. I wish I had the power to help her spend more quality time with us here. I hope she is in a better place without pain.

I know that we were not really left with a choice, but I miss you Roxy.

Best Answer

I had to put my dog to sleep after 18 years yesterday. I feel all the same feelings that you do. I can't stop crying and I feel so guilty. I miss her sweet face. I miss our morning routine. I miss my best friend so much. We went through so much together. We are all just grieving. It is hard. I keep telling myself I did the right thing. She isn't suffering and she left the world while I held her. I think it is better than watching her suffer in pain until her death. But..I understand your pain. We will all heal with cherished memories of our babies.

Best Answer

You know -- I learned an interesting thing about dogs -- it is in their culture to never show pain, because that makes them a target for expulsion from the pack. If your dog was really sick, you can rest assured she was in way more pain than she was showing you. You did the right thing, and you robbed her of nothing but one more day of pain and suffering. Forgive yourself! Big hugs.

Best Answer

The dog neeeded putting down end of story

Best Answer

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel; no matter how well you know that it was the best thing for her, you feel terrible because there wasn't a better alternative. You have to keep telling yourself that you did the very best you could for her. You gave her a beautiful life, and I believe that we will see our beloved friends again. Read the poem The Rainbow Bridge.

Best Answer

oh. that's how I feel. And what's worse, I feel guilt because I'm relieved. Every day for 6 months I'd leave for work feeling miserable, and come home praying that my bud didn't die all alone. The last week was hell. Conflict between ending his suffering, or was it my suffering, and he was still ok? The last day at the vet was horrible for me, not for him. What clinched it for me was he showed no reaction to being prodded, poked, injected and manipulated, any of which would have caused him to jump 17 feet across the room even 90 days ago.

Best Answer

I feel exactly the way you do. I had my dog put to sleep yesterday and I feel so guilty to think that he trusted me with his life and I let him down.

Best Answer

I know how you feel I'm going through the exact same thing. it was three weeks ago and I had him for 13 years,. I cry and scream all the time. it's like I paid someone to kill him, I loved him with all my heart and miss him so much that it hurts. if you figure out how to handle it I'd like to know. hope it gets better for both of us.

Best Answer

I am terribly sorry that you are going through this. Your dog lived a wonderful life with you. You should be happy that you got to experience such a relationship. Don't feel guilty, that emotion is toxic in this situation and isn't needed one bit. You did what you had to do. I wish I could give you a huge hug right now! You will have to go through the five steps Anger, Denial, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance. Everyone is different with these steps, some take more time than others. I had to put down my pitbull mix in May because she attacked my other dog. This was the second time she had attacked. My dogs name was Ruca and I was so terribly distraught after having to do that. Everything will be ok I promise. And always remember that This Too Shall Pass. <3 Much love and I hope you feel better soon :)

Best Answer