I still get the urge to yell when people call me sir.

Best Answer

Even worse in UK they call me madam. How I cringe It sems to have started when I was about 35, I have been to USA a few times and they seem to give every woman irrespective of age the title ma'am. I even started doing it myself

Best Answer

Madam is awful! I still get asked for ID when buying alcohol BUT then I get called ma'am as well... I am having an identity crisis!

Best Answer

31-35 maam :)

Best Answer

Idk ma'am. :P

Best Answer

You guys are so funny! x

Best Answer

Move to the UK, it's rarely used. I'm not a fan of it myself and if it is used they say 'madam' which I feel sounds marginally better! :)

Best Answer

Madam is what staff in 5 star hotels call me, but it always sounds like they are sucking up...

Best Answer

its just a way of showing respect.......you should be happy with it:)

Best Answer

In my neck of the woods, a young lady officially becomes a ma'am around the time she 'presents' as an adult female. That's somewhere between 16-20, and I've grown used to it. Plus, in customer service they always tell you to address someone by sir, ma'am, Mr. or Ms.

Best Answer

People use "ma'am" because they don't want to be disrespectful. Words such as "Mis" can be misinterpreted as disrespectful, so people use "ma'am" instead. It doesn't have to do with your age or looks; don't worry about it!

Best Answer

Really? I hope so! Thanks.

Best Answer

kind of thru me off the first time.........mid 20s......i prefer it now...........been called worse?! ;-)

Best Answer

Me too...

Best Answer

It first happened to me at 38. I told the salesguy to stop following me. :o)

Best Answer