scenicmind scenicmind 22-25, M 28 Answers Jul 25, 2012

I am a doctor. I worked with a lot of schizophrenic patients during training. I like the statement above where they said "it doesn't define you". That's true. I know it is hard especially with the side effects which frustrate but do not stop taking meds. Have you seen the beautiful mind movie? did you see blind and handicapped poor people surviving so well being functional. Human beings are not perfect. You just have an illness, we all have some bad habits in our characters that stay with us forever. It is also like our illness individually(spiritual piece of mind). I am sure you have support? I am sure you are strong enough to live with your condition. Have some faith. be positive. God bless!

Best Answer

I see this a lot with my patients too. Well said.

Best Answer

I see this in a lot of that in my patients too..Very well said.

Best Answer

I think that schizophrenia is like any other illness and it happens at rates of about 1/100 people. It is not your fault or the fault of your family. I think that there is lots of stigma and I find that Pat Deegan is a great advocate. She has a great website called Pat Deegan and associates. I have met her and like her view on “recovery”. I currently teach nurses but in the past have worked in mental health facilities. I wish you well.

Best Answer

I should add that Pat was diagnosed with schizophrenia herself at about 18 years old. She later got a PHD

Best Answer

thanks i'll check the website out. i believe it's possible to recover but, if the claim is it's a lifelong illness it may be a rough road.

Best Answer

yes it is a lifelong illness, but managing that illness like any other can be empowering. She teaches methods to control delusions and hearing voices etc.

Best Answer

It is NOT like any other illness at all. It has unique symptoms.

Best Answer

I never suggested that Schizophrenia is like other illnesses, of course it is NOT. I suggested managing the illness, is a similar (like) process. Diabetes and Depression are nothing alike, but the process of management is a similar framework. Typically that includes learning about the illness, making modifications to your lifestyle based on the newly acquired knowledge and following a sensible management regime that you develop in collaboration with your health care team. Please read comments before commenting negatively about them.
I would also like to make a point that your use of the word “schizoids” in another post by you is inappropriate and negative. I doubt very much that any one diagnosed with Schizophrenia would enjoy being labeled in that manner. I think “person with Schizophrenia” is far more appropriate.

Best Answer

It's a mental illness that can be treated although meds are likely to be needed permanently, much like deep depression. Had some great conversations with schizoids when in the mental ward myslef for depression. Like you, we can be dangerous if untreated. And will be.

No big deal, it's just another illness needing treatment. Like cancer is.

Best Answer

i think every schizophrenia patient is different and everyone with a mental illness has a difficult life ahead. treatment is different from conventional illness and even bizarre this is the brain and i feel it's important to have it level but, when your not it make things to another vantage point.

Best Answer

I'm open to hearing about it. (But don't know much about it). Let us know.

Best Answer

my sister has it , i think its nasty

Best Answer

My big brother is too. And i love every inch of him! He tells me stories that nobody else belives… but i belive :)

I sometimes think the people that arnet mentaly ill are actually the sick ones…I hope that makes since... lol)

Best Answer

Schizophrenia aside from other forms of mental illness is so complex that many therapist have to make very certain that this is the cause of the psychosis.

This is usually done with alot of counseling and specific medications that induce schizoid episodes.

Best Answer

I feel sorry for any pain it causes you. I believe there's a lot about this illness that people don't understand. I desperately want to understand what causes it and how to fix it.

Best Answer

Annoyed.. I don't know what that means.. or do I..? Maybe. .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. ... .. . . ......

It makes me feel fine:D I don't care:D

Best Answer

Its really aliens/angels talking to u, when u hear ur name or à voice talk back an see what happens, dont move ur mouth use ur mind.

Best Answer

i wouldn't know for i've no hallucinations but, i am perceived as though i do have them.

Best Answer

If u dont hear voices u aint got it, go to a different dr

Best Answer

How the fark would you know. Appointed yourself as a physician have you? And try to use English rather than texting. This is a forum, not a phone, dummy.

Best Answer

Bullshit. Idiot.

Best Answer

I'm sorry that you have this illness,however I have a very good friend who also has schizophrenia an he is a wonderful man,but it took a long time for his doc to find a medication that worked for him.

Now as long as he takes his med's regularly he does great and leads a full life,with friends,family ect.. I wish you the same luck.

Best Answer

i have a mental illness (bipolar) it makes me feel a bit of a kinship with you even if my diagnosis is different than yours. as far as what i believe of the illness? i think it gives you extra struggles, and i hope you're under care. i finally am, and it's helped.

Best Answer

If you are just going to a free mental health place, please get another option to insure. Diagnosis's like schizophrenia and many other are all to often misdiagnosis you may be having simple brain seizures that can be corrected. Do not rely on proforma diagnostics to get you the correct answers.

Best Answer

thanks for the advice currently i'm at a free clinic and want more better advance treatment i'm working on that. brain seizures you say? i did have a major head injury in the past i could swing either way but i'm already taking prescribed medication that is dangerous if you stop taking and that is the reason i'm need better treatment i don't know how i was diagnosed and i'm searching for the correct being within me not the made up paperwork these health professionals employed onto me.

Best Answer

Don't stop taking any psychotropic meds you are on. Head injury?? I would demand a EEG with not just the general interpretations; But also to be read by a neurosurgeon with some background on your mental health. Look all I'm saying if I had a diagnosis like that I would want to know how it came to be and the creditably of the Dr. giving it. That is if you were even seen by a Dr. and not a "Fill in and signed off on"

Best Answer

There is nothing simple about seizures, they are life altering and a huge challenge to control well, but they do not present like schizophrenia. Schizophrenia has a list of symptoms that contribute to the diagnosis as well as a history and an interview. Second opinions are always a good idea but avoid diagnosing yourself.

Best Answer

That is not how I had meat it, Yes they many variations of them are horrible afflictions. Contrary to your understanding of schizophrenia all to often latent "mini" seizures are the culprit, especially if there has been a head injury . It is even more prevalent in the mass misdiagnosis of autism. If you could see the transformation from "Non functional autistic child" after a small current has been run through them you would be stunned.
Stunned may have been a poor choice in wording. You would be amazed.

Best Answer

Honestly, I feel sorry for you mostly, that stinks! I feel like with that illness you're trapped between a crazy place or insane medication side effects. I took nursing though and we read articles on Schizophrenia written by a psychiatrist with schizophrenia...she hid her illness to get into medical school without stigma and then started writing to help others understand how difficult it is. So anything's possible I guess.

Best Answer

yes the balance is hectic but, it is as any illness really. wow a psychiatrist with schizophrenia.. that is pretty successful, i too have aspirations to do something with my life that will help others understand the tense relationship i have between my mind and myself.

Best Answer

Good luck!

Best Answer

it blows snot

Best Answer

there couldn't be anymore right to that answer.

Best Answer

You are disgusting and should be banned from the internet.

Best Answer

I don't feel anything. I don't believe much, aside from that it can have a serious impact on how you function.

Best Answer

true, i now have a lifetime illness that will affect how i can prosper and function.

Best Answer