surroundedbutalone22 surroundedbutalone22 22-25, F 2 Answers May 4 in Health

Find a quiet place to sit on the ground, close your eyes ANC try focussing on nothing but your breathing, in and out. When thoughts invade your mind, return immediately to counting your breaths in tens.

Best Answer

Ok thanks For the advice, will try. Just seeing this response made me cry, I'm completely at the end of my leash.

Best Answer

It does work!

Best Answer

DBT has been highly recommended.

Best Answer

I've tried DBT, it is helpful however it only really works for me when I'm in the session. Once I'm home it's like I can't remember how to do it...I don't want to lose my family to this :(

Best Answer

Why can't you remember when you are not in session? Are you too upset to be able to remember? Are you able to remember it when you don't need it?

Best Answer

Yes I'm too upset to do it, I remember what it is and how to but it's like my mind won't let me. When I'm feeling okay I am able to do it in a second.

Best Answer

Ok, let me start by saying that I've not done or practiced DBT and I haven't got BPD (that I know of). Though the problem sounds the same as the one described in 'crucial conversations', whereby your brain has gone into fight, flight or drop (looking like you are dead) mode. This is a primitive reaction that everyone has that is quite essential for survival (but possibly not in the modern world).
What you need is a circuit breaker. Can you do some deep breathing, look at the page http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Breathing_to_reduce_stress?open, half way down under the heading Abdominal breathing. It may be good to practice for the 10-20 minutes, but when you feel like everything is too much, just start, even if you only do it for a few breaths, just long enough to exit fight,flight or drop mode.
Another alternative is to state that you need a little space at the moment, take yourself somewhere quiet and let yourself calm down, then go back and tackle the situation according to your training.
Good luck, and let me know how you go.

Best Answer