It is very hard to earn a living as a poet, but you are on the right track: writing and actually selling something. Also, if you are hoping to get picked up by one of the big publishing houses (Or even if you don't) you need to get published with as many different newspapers, magazines, ezines etc at you can. Places that will publish anything that you send no matter what do not count. There needs to be some quality control. I publish on a site that allows me to write about anything I want, but it has to be well written. I once had to rewrite a piece three times before they would accept it. Keep copies of your writing in the publication where you were published so you have a record of your publishing credits; it can help you sell your book to publishers. good luck!

Best Answer

Most poets don't make money these days. But I have head that e-publishing yourself can be very successful; keep the price low so it seems like a bargain and get it some place like Amazon. People are a lot more likely to put down $1 for an eBook than $10 for a printed one if they don't know the author.

Best Answer

Wow ! But I didn't actually had such experience yet. . . but websites is the best way for now. I have few friends so involved with blogging they advertise it there. Good luck !

Best Answer

My aunt did that, wrote a book of poems and she paid a printer to print up a bunch of them and then sold them on her own, We all got one for Christmas that year. I still have mine.

Best Answer

That's a great idea.

Best Answer

Hey, maple!

Best Answer

A seminar I attended on self-publishing said most books don't sell over 200 - the range of your friends and acquaintances. You can buy my book off my site gurugita.vpweb.com [please!] but I never expected to make a living from it. Let's face it...a living has to be at least $20,000 a year.<br />
Book stores want 40% of the cover price, leaving you to pay for the printing costs and distribution out of your measly cut. At $15 cover price that leaves me $9. It cost $6 to print a LOT of copies, otherwise $8 for a few. Let's not forget websites aren't free to run either.<br />
Good luck...

Best Answer

thanks for the tip and good luck to ya

Best Answer