I met someone online who said he had an arranged marriage. I was wondering what happens if you divorce and have kids. Do parents try to arrange a second and even a third marriage if the first one doesn't work out?
lisaandshasta123 lisaandshasta123 41-45 8 Answers Jan 1, 2013 in Religion

OMG. I cringe when I hear the word culture and arranged marriages. I immediately have visions of little girls and dirty old bearded men in dresses

Best Answer

I understand. I read a book about a girl who was a widow at 10-she was married to an old man-- and nobody wanted her after that.

Best Answer

Afghan girl. ...... many finish up on the streets, begging, drugs and/or prostitution. Wonderful culture ppfft

Best Answer

What makes arranged marriage work better is that the couple is being chosen by a large group of people with a lot of experience and everyone feels responsible for their choice if things start to go wrong. These days, it is up to these people whether they willing to repeat the process for a second time.

Best Answer

Arranged marriages must work, because the divorce rate among Indians is very low.

Best Answer

I was thinking that, too. So I guess the problem is rare because people stay together.

Best Answer

I think it is also cultural. In the West, people tend to quit on relationships earlier because they are always finding fault in others..... too many 'self improvement books' and talk shows (Oprah) trying to find fault with your spouse. Whereas , in India; families are more centric. You often have 2,3 generations living together and they work out their problems. I also think divorce is shunned.

Best Answer

May you are ignorant of Indian culture. In America or in Europe the society is concerned of the 'next generation' as far as economy or social environment is concerned and they think each adult person is good enough to choose the best for himself. But In India, the society is concerned for the "next generation' more in their emotional well being and social status. The Indian society is structured more in terms of familial relationship. It is rather unthinkable a child growing up with his mother living with a man other than his own father and his father keeping another woman in his home who is not his/ her own mother. Concerning marriage, it is a man finding good mate as his wife and also the parents searching a good daughter in law into their home and many others in the family searching out for a good aunt and a nice cousin to live and love each other as a new entrant into the big family. So family and parents of the girl, her physical charm, fairness, way of behaving,educational/professional status, her friend circle her dress code everything is considered while choosing a wife to a dear son in the family. You have to consider, the final say is to be from the groom himself. the marriage in India is not a trial marriage but the beginning of a permanent relationship. May be some marriages fail, but only when the choice is made inconsiderate to vital merits.

If you like asking a friend which car is good to buy, why not you thinking you need to consult many more when you are to get a life partner for you?

Best Answer

This is not typical to all Indians. Arranged marriages are typical if their religion calls for it. I'm Half indian half european however I'm catholic so I was able to marry who I wanted to.

Best Answer

Sorry I didn't read the whole question. A divorce would be looked down upon immensely.

Best Answer

ok thank you

Best Answer

From an Indian:

Divorced women do go in for second arranged marriages in metros, but it's pretty hard, just like for single mothers elsewhere.

They typically do it online because they don't want to hassle their old parents.

In the small towns/countryside, arranged marriages for divorced women are rare.

Best Answer

Thank you for answering.

Best Answer