I just got back from therapy, it sucked. I go to therapy because I have an anxiety disorder selective mutism, im so shy that I don't speak at all to anyone apart from 1 friend and my family. my therapist doesn't understand my disorder and she keeps asking me why I don't speak and when I tell her im shy she asks my why im shy. but I don't know why im shy and I never know how to answer her, I write down saying I don't know why im shy but she thinks there must be a reason and thinks im lying. she really doesn't understand me, I hate therapy but my parents make me go :(.
EnjoyTheSilenceX EnjoyTheSilenceX 13-15, F 4 Answers Mar 20 in Community

OK... I am aware of someone older than you who has been where you are. In her thirties now she is still painfully shy in public, but gradually comes out of her shell when she becomes accustomed to new people. So maybe there is some hope you can take from that.<br />
But the point I wanted to make is that this is a nonphysical problem. The cause is somewhere in your mind. And while you may be correct that this therapist isn't the one to help you, the approach has to be to draw out that underlying cause.<br />
So. Since you don't respect or trust this therapist, rather than waste everyones time and money and be proactive. Do some googling and learn a little more about your issue, then look around on line for well known specialists who are working in that area. See if you can find one or two who sound like they make sense to you and take these results to your parents. They have to be happy that you are being proactive and you could get some help you respect and trust out of it. What do you have to lose?

Best Answer

It can take many tries before you find the right therapist for you.

Best Answer

Hugs... can't you switch therapist if this one doesn't understand... it's good that you go though

Best Answer