cpthaddock cpthaddock 51-55, M 11 Answers Jun 29 in Politics

As far as I know, they're still illegal, ever since the US imposed an economic BLOCKADE on the Cuban people. It was not an "embargo" which makes it sound like some kind of biscotti, it was a BLOCKEO ECONOMICO, economic genocide.

Best Answer

It is illegal now.....

Best Answer

They were LEGAL until the Cuban embargo. They can easily be had in S Florida and NYC....

Best Answer

That is what I was searching for

Best Answer

Yes, for years and years. Actually, I thought it still was.

Best Answer
Best Answer

I'm pretty sure it still is. When I was smoking cigars, in the 1980s-90s, it was very difficult to get them. A friend brought me one from Switzerland.

Best Answer

A few years ago, I recall something on TV about Americans who wanted to holiday in Cuba had to go to Canada for the flight

Best Answer

After the Cuban embargo in the 1960's, I think has been illegal

Best Answer

yes.

Best Answer

In the 50's it was.

Best Answer

Maybe in the 60's too? I'm sure I read something about JFK smoking them

Best Answer

It started after the bay of pigs deal. You are right.

Best Answer

The Cuban Revolution happened on New Year's Eve 1959. It was in the 1960s that they became illegal.

Best Answer

Yes I thought it was the late 50's , very late by the sound of it

Best Answer

The story is that before JFK made them illegal, he imported several thousand for himself and had them kept in a walk-in humidor in NYC.

Best Answer

Doesn't get much later! I forget exactly when the Cuban Embargo began, maybe 1961.

Best Answer

Sounds about right.. Someone did lend me a Kennedy biography years ago but it was a bit, dunno , I couldn't get in to it and that was probably mentioned but I didn't make it that far

Best Answer

Yes. Before the embargo began.

Best Answer

since its an embargo it might just be illegal to move them

Best Answer

Only since the Cuban embargo 50 years ago...

Best Answer