What is the third quartile (Q3) of the data set? 157, 77, 97, 97, 144, 136, 132, 152, 72
rosenbud rosenbud 13-15, F 5 Answers Mar 19 in Embarrassing & Funny

I'm not going to g-mail message you. Nor am I going to do your homework. But I'll explain how to do it, because I'm EP's biggest math nerd. First, order the numbers from least to greatest. The third fourth of the numbers is the third quartile.

Best Answer

that was easy. thanks you explaned it in very simple terms

Best Answer

Math class tends to overcomplicate math. Really, if someone finds math hard, their either doing it wrong or learnt/learning it wrong. I could explain derivatives and integrals to a fifth grader. Math's not hard. :P

Best Answer

Do they still do a lot of fractions in school or do they just convert everything to decimals and do it the easy way?

Best Answer

It really depends on the class. After Algebra 1, they just ask you to round the decimal (the number of sig figs depends on the class). Especially in the science classes.

Best Answer

Average the #'s. Those to the left of the median are the 3Q.

Best Answer

I would choose you as the best answer but I accidently made someone else best answer.

Best Answer

That's cool.....

Best Answer

The only reason you'd ever want to know those #'s anyway is to do standard deviation.

Best Answer

Not really. You don't need to know the third quartile specifically for standard deviation. You'd need the quartiles (and a plot, be it histogram or boxplot) to see if a distribution is normal, but not directly for standard deviation. For that, if I remember correctly, you need the average of a set and the number of elements in the set.

Best Answer

I defer to your greater knowledge, Ms. Fracalist ☺...we would use it in manufacturing when our processors were deviating from normal....just to meet our ISO 9001 standards......

Best Answer
Best Answer

That explains it very well.

Best Answer

ask your teacher where in real life you would ever need to know this.Tell them they went from school to teaching and have no idea what you need to know in the real world.

Best Answer

Im home schooled. so I cant ask my teacher.

Best Answer

Quality Control and Statistical Process Control uses it every day. Economics does too.

Best Answer

does it help for singing? because I want to be a singer.

Best Answer

I know it is used in certain fields but if your not interested in those fields in becomes boring and makes you not like school. Or at least give real world examples of where you would need to know this.Too many kids can't even read a map when they get out of school but they need to know the capital of some country they will never see.

Best Answer

who teaches you at home?

Best Answer

144 (used excel).

Best Answer