1a9m7i6 1a9m7i6 36-40, F 12 Answers Jan 9, 2013 in WTK

Sorry that you're having a hard time at the moment and I know how you feel. See you GP and get him to refer her to a good child therapist or a psychologist and see if this person can support you and her too. It will make a big difference but try to involve some of the people in your family. <br />
All ADHD kids need consistency. Make rules and sticks to them. Find things that you know she is interested in and keep her occupied. Also send her to karate/self defence, that'd teach her how to be more respectful. If she says no, make her go or compromise and let her choose something else like trampoline, cooking, art, something like that. Always reward her for good behaviour and punish for bad behaviour like take away her fav thing like psp, DSI for a few days til she behaves better. <br />
I know it's easy to read but doing it is difficult.Find someone who have your back and someone who have a good influence on your daughter to behave better.<br />
I hope it works out. I done all that with my boy. He is not perfect but he is behaving much better now. <br />
Another thing, if you need a break, send your daughter to stay at someone's house for a week or 3 months, those people's behaviour like an aunt because everyone is different, some are calm. Your daughter will copy their behaviour .<br />
Spanking are not effective and can be damaging. Punishing her by taking away her fav thing is more effective. I hope it works out for you. Oh one more thing, change the medication or take her off it and give her seven seas oil instead. I took my son off the medication because he was becoming violence.He is no longer like that and he is seeing child therapist at the moment, he is 15.

Best Answer

Very thoughtful answer. I have a daughter with PTSD, and I agree that with a child who has processing issues, firmness, consistency is best, not physically punishment. I know the challenge to keep up on it, as a single parent working a lot, it was very differcult. Making sure that she get along socially is very important, as there will be people who will not understand, and it will make it more difficult for her. Hope it goes better, and you get more support.

Best Answer

Thank you. Sounds like you're doing well. I will look up PTSD because I don't know what that is. I agree about the social thing as well. Not many people are understanding but good on your child to practice. My boy is not very social but would hang with people if he knows them very well like his aunt, his cousins, uncles and grandparents.

Best Answer

Your school should have a school counsellor and if they do they may also have a person who specialises in working with youth. <br />
Contact local youth agencies

Best Answer

Yeah, if your child's school specialises in special needs, they should have a person who can monitor your child's behaviour and gives you extra support.

Best Answer

Have you seen the movie 'Generation Rx' <br />
If you haven't I recommend it.

Best Answer

I know exactly what your talking about. Of course, You have to take proper steps with disciplinary actions, but she also needs to learn anger management. I know easier said than done.<br />
My son picked up a desk one time and threw at one of the students. The teacher had to restrain my son.<br />
I also dealt with the situation in an orderly fashion. However, My son has no empathy so this makes it twice as hard. I don't know if other kids experience the lack of empathy with this condition.<br />
There are times I want lock myself in room due to how uncontrollable he is. But I also have learned kids that have ADHD will not respond to a command, but they will respond to choices. For example, Son you acted inappropiate at school , so you can choose to lose gaming time for a week or playing outside with friends. He responds well to this tactic. But the minute I command him or demand , he is defiant to the end.

Best Answer

Ugh how young or old is she. By your age I'm guessing quite young. I honestly don't understand all of these relatively new diagnoses. ADHD, bipolar, all of these newer terms they use to tag people who are some what "out of the box". I'm not reffering to your daughter right now but this was unheard of 20 years ago. I was given that tag as well. ADHD as well as bipolar but I'm in my 30s so there's a obvious spin when it concerns a child. I have a son who is 5. He has a friend who is ADHD. As a kid I can remember myself not wanting to sit still I mean at a young age are they sopposed to? Geese my son is non stop from 5:30 am until his head hits the pillow and even then he's rolling around goofing off. I'll take a stab and assume its her inability to control her actions that scares you? If she is young like my son I can't see a child having much thought on the aftermath of misbehaving. Ya they know right and wrong but I think to process a thought on what they are actually doing is asking a bit much. Kids just act. Geese I still act. I'm 35!! **** me off and ya ya better duck!! <br />
Ok my honest advice. With trying to keep it to a minimum!! There has got to be something pushing her little buttons. She obviously was in a little women rage and acted on it and the closest thing was crap she could throw. Maybe it's simple frustration coming out in a not so accepted form. I've listen to my friends sons mother talk about her son and his ADHD what exactly are you talking about? Just her inappropriate actions? Is there more than that? Can you sit her down and hold a little bit of a conversation with her? Does she show remorse? Pay no mind? I kinda need more to go on than ADHD and throwing things.

Best Answer

maybe check and see if she has explosive disorder on top of her ADHD?

Best Answer

I'll pray for your situation, calm down and drink some tea. I know her meltdown freaked people out around her including your daughter. It could be a number of things such as a misdiagnoises, nutrition (needing vitimans, omega-3's), new meds or doseage, lack of sleep or something happened to trigger her behavior. ADHD children can be very sensitive and have a strong sence of justice so when she's calm, I'd ask her what triggered her behavior and listen. Context is everything so I'd find out from her teachers what happened prior to her meltdown. If there's another "pattern of behavior" taking place, she may need to be evaluated for something else. Also make sure your daughter has a 504 Plan or a special education plan so her special needs are accommodated. I hope this helps.

Best Answer

First off, find a good psychologist for your daughter.<br />
Next step, educate yourself on ADHD as well as People-first Language.

Best Answer

She might need a change of need a change of meds too. Call her doctor.

Best Answer

Spank her *** ... just because she has ADHD doesn't mean she can't learn self control, daaa

Best Answer

she is on medication, and I don't care for spanking...violence begets violence...she already hits, and screams.by the way she is 8 years old...

Best Answer

Spanking leaves you with bad memories and she is 8. She needs discipline and guidance. Routines is always very effective.

Best Answer

Consider having her evaluated for Asperger's Syndrome.

Best Answer

Ok so she is old enough to understand and she does process thought at this age. I'm on the fence with the medication thing. Only speaking for my self it never really helped. I never felt any better It wasn't a magic pill and now I'm cured type if thing. It was just a cycle of pills and then new pills and then hey now we need to add this pill to the one your already taking because research shows this has been effective in a controlled study. It just never worked for me.
As a mother constancy on your end is medication in its self. Maybe take her out somewhere this weekend and talk to her find out what makes her tick and maybe you can find some explanation for her skills in throwing things that could serve better purpose on a softball field!

Best Answer

Well, continue what you are doing then and I guarantee you she will get worse. Spanking gets their attention and is different then violence.

Best Answer

we have thought of that..but the drs dont care enough to look into it...they just kind of shrug it off.We have also looked into Edison syndrome..thanks for the advice

Best Answer

I do understand your thoughts on the medication view..I have had it done to me.One of my HUGE problems, is we don't have a car..and no way to afford one, so she can't go anywhere..we do have a baseball field, but its almost a mile away, and being in the 20's its too cold to be out in it very long...brr..we have NO public transportation, and no parks to play at nearby.Our only "fun" is every Saturday her dad will take us to the library, and grocery shopping.If we ask to go anywhere, its like pulling teeth, and he huffs the whole time we are out..Thanks for your advice..I appreciate it..

Best Answer

My niece has ADHD and has Aspargers. She was bullied by kids and my brother finally put he in a special school. ADHD and Aspagers kids need to learn in a creative environment. She is doing much better because instead of sitting in a classroom, the kids go rollar skating or bowling and they learn social skills, math skills, things that they can't learn in a regular school environment. I still believe in spankings though too.

Best Answer

Put heron medication and punish her?

Best Answer

that's a very stupid answer. How old are you?

Best Answer

How is that a stupid answer? I know many people that have put their children.. including one of my bestfriends to this day is on medication to treat or stabalise her ADHD.
And maybe punishing can help her realise what is acceptable behaviour?

Best Answer

Oh I realised what you mean, I thought you said put heroin medication and punish her but you meant put her on medication. My apology.

Best Answer

my brother was the adhd kid from hell . a lot of foods can trigger a child . red and yellows are a big no no . make the child understand there are reactions for actions . reward good behavior punish bad . drugs can have weird reactions as can foods coffee can put a adhd to sleep . a little trick i learned with my brother . <br />
anger can be a issue see what is ******* this kid off

Best Answer