I'd bet that today, if I told a kid to call me Mr. (My last name), they'd whine and throw a fit that I'm not treating them like an equal. My possible reply: "I'd hate to kill your ego, but at least until you finish High School, You're NOT my equal." Your thoughts? Or did I babel too much and no one read this whole speil? Oops, I meant "old MOVIES. . .. ". It dang near melted my heart when my Pastor's 7 year old daughter called me "Mr. (My first name)". I'm guessing she doesn't know my last name.
gingershuman gingershuman 36-40, M 8 Answers Aug 23, 2012 in Community

The world would be a better place if kids were taught to call people Mr. or Ms. instead of by their first names. I was never allowed to call and adult by their first name. <br />
Kids call their parents by their first names! I used to be a teacher and the first time I heard a student call his mother by her first name I nearly passed out!

Best Answer

I'm 38 and still call most of my parents friends, Mr. or Mrs. so and so

Best Answer

Great subject. I was always required to show my elders respect by addressing them as Mr or Mrs. Somehow, in this touchy-feelie, new-age, left-leaning, introspective culture we've fallen into, common respect is considered to be not PC enough, and like you said, we don't want to annoy the poor kiddies. We need to take a belt to their ***** and stop apologizing for being the adults.

Best Answer

" The times, they are a changing." Way, way back in my time as a child, we were required to refer to adults as Mr. or Mrs. or Miss and, it was Aunt Alice and Uncle Al, forever. Even after we were adults ourselves. By contrast, my grandchildren call their parents by their first name. I admit that I'm old as dirt but, I like the old way of showing respect for our elders. I think it teaches the younger people to generally respect authority, rather than think of themselves as equals, which they won't be until they're brains have developed and they become adults themselves. I think this equality trend started with people who wanted to be their kids friends, not their parents.

Best Answer

I finish high school does that make us equal

Best Answer

Until I become your boss (like that's ever going to happen), Yes. Alternative answer: No, You're better than me because you speak 3 languages and some people wonder if I even know English.

Best Answer

you are really fun

Best Answer

I miss the way people used to behave. Part of why I love old movies is because it's a window into a time when human decency and a sense of community were looked upon as good things, and encouraged rather than ridiculed.

Best Answer

I've just turned 42, nut if they are elder, I will call people Mr... or Mrs... If they're the same age as me or younger, I call them by their first name - if I can feckin remember it, which is a rare event.

Best Answer

LOL. I'm 38. some people ALREADY call me "that old man"

Best Answer

Ha, its a giggle innit - I remember being terrified when I was coming up to 18. My recent birthday was 5 days ago and I didn't give a $hit! No cards, no presents - no problem. Mind you, I wouldn't mind a cake when I hit 90...

Best Answer

my kids have their friends over=hate to be called mrs. . I tell them to call me by my first name. They usually add Miss. in front of it.

Best Answer

I generally don't introduce myself as "Mr.", The questions was just on my mind.

Best Answer

good Q.

Best Answer